car wont start

tadmichael22

Okay guys, I just got my motor back together and it wont start.
When I turn the key it trys to start and has a couple times but only for a sec and then died. When it did run it was almost like it was out of timing or something. All my wires are on correctly and every sensor is hooked back up the same way. Can anyone give me any ideas what this could be? I am assuming some kind of sensor but I am not sure. I did head and intake work while changing head gaskets. Also I went with 42# injectors, 76mm maf, 255lph fuel pump, adj fuel regulator, new spark plugs and wires. I ordered a fuel pressure guage today so I really dont know what it is yet but I would think it would run reguardless for a little even if the pressure was off.
Tad

1. What sampling tube do you have?
2. You need to check the fuel pressure.
3. If you have a vacuum leak (anything after the MAF) it will start and die or run really rough.
4. What book did you use to hook up the plug wires? The older Haynes manuals are wrong. You should have 123 on the top row (closest to the connector) and 564 on the bottom row (closest to the rad)

I got a used 76mm maf with a 42# sampling tube. Used the haynes manual for everything and the one I have is the same as what you said. Would the fuel pressure being wrong not allow it to start. Because now it wont even try to start. Just spits and sputters for a sec or two.
Tad

What color is the tube in the MAF? Look at the rear of the tube there should be some paint on it. If the fuel pressure is too low then it won’t get any fuel.

Jeff

Okay I just went out and took off the maf so I am looking at it right now and there isnt any paint on it anywhere. The sampling tube is the tube that is bolted to the inside top of the maf that the sensor goes down into right. If so theres no paint.
Tad

Oh and also I turned up the fuel pressure a little to see if that would help earlier and it made no difference. Just spetters and kinda backfires. But I didnt touch the timing or anything.
Tad

All right I put on my fuel pressure guage today and I was only running 19 psi. I set it at 42psi and also I had a bad ACT sensor and ECT sensor. I changed both of those and now it runs but I have to keep reving it up to keep it going. I checked everywhere for a vacume leak but only found a couple little ones and I fixed them but it still runs the same. Any suggestions???? Could it be like a cam or crank sensor or something?
PLEASE HELP!!!
Tad

It’s still going to be a vacuum leak. Check all of your IC connections, make sure you didn’t tighten only one side and not the other. There are 2 nuts on each connection, chances are one of them is loose. There are a ton of vacuum points. Make sure the tube on the MAF is tight as well as the connection at the TB.

Jeff

I'll try checking again. What I did to check was to take off the line going to the boost guage and then put a hose on that nipple and blew continues 20psi through it and sprayed soapy water on all the connections and found just the 2 I had mentioned. Do you suggest any othe way of finding them because I cant really keep it running well enough to check while at idle?
Tad

Okay Jeff you're my hero! Now what do I do? I disconnected the maf and it fired right up and idled really well. I turned it off and re-connected it and it ran like crap again. Does this mean that I dont really have the correct tube after all. Its a 76mm maf and the 42# injectors do have the green tops right. What color should the tube be?
Thank You Very Much you are helping me a lot!!
Tad

Thanks Jeff, but the only thing bad about that link is that I dont understand half of it because its written in jibberish HA! The Maf I got did not have any electronics. I am just using my old sensor.
You definately think I have the wrong tube though? O do you think I need new electronics?
Tad

I am not sure whether or not the electronics or not. The tube color should be visible if you remove the intake tube and look at the rear of the MAF at the tube. Make sure that the O-ring is around the wires that actually do the air measuring. Also make sure the wires are clean and not bent or otherwise out of wack.

Jeff

Back