breaking head loose

rubber mallet works too, be careful when prying with a metal object if you choose to do so. It shouldn't be stuck on there to badly.

Maybe it is still stuck then. Rubber mallet was the first thing I tried then a 2x4 and hammer. Am I missing a bolt or something? I removed the lower intake and the 4 head bolts. The exhaust manifold is loose at the flange. I feal something close to the firewall, but seems to be bolted to the head only. (Drivers side)

Last edited:
There are 8 head bolts. 4 under the valve cover, 4 under the exhaust manifolds.

DLF said:
There are 8 head bolts. 4 under the valve cover, 4 under the exhaust manifolds.
:D :D
Glad I didn't push too hard. I'd buy you a beer DLF if you were around. And I got my spanner wrench thanks.

Ya, ha ha. I felt so stupid when you posted that. The block is ready to pull now. I got everything loose without a book. The only two snags were 1)windshield wipers (don't start)
and 2) the 4 other head bolts lol. Everything went pretty smooth I couldn't believe it for not having done this Ever before with any motor.

But I couldn't really stand to wrench on it for more than 4hours at a time with out really slowing down or quiting. It is intimdating.

I could not put it back together though without a book or help and I should have both now so hopefully I am set. Turns out a piston/bore is scoured. Yea. Wish I could have just blown the HG's instead. The one was probably leaking slowly into that cylinder and thus the problem.

It is cam time now and a little PP. Hopefully the head isn't cracked anywhere. A good chunk of the piston is ground up, but luckily it didn't sieze.

Happy new year everyone!

Back