Can I beat a dodge stealth R/T?

Tony8470

Ok, I have been thinking and thinking about this and I have to know.....can I beat a 93 stealth R/T?

Now, my car isn't on the road yet. But when it gets back on the road within the coming weeks it will have done to it.

1. CAI with K&N
2. Complete flowmaster exhaust
3. 3.27's on a 5-speed

My guesses are that my hp is 225 and the torque is 360.
The stealth is rated at 220 hp and 205 torque but only weighs 3400 lbs.

This seems to be the "great race" among my group of friends.

I was just working on a 300GT and when I looked for information on it, the weight is a LOT higher than 3400lbs try 4400lbs. Not quite that much but it is very close to 4K. HP and torque were higher as well, but I was looking at the TT version. If it is stock with the #’s you listed (except weight) then you should beat him.

Jeff

Tony8470 said:
Ok, I have been thinking and thinking about this and I have to know.....can I beat a 93 stealth R/T?

Now, my car isn't on the road yet. But when it gets back on the road within the coming weeks it will have done to it.

1. CAI with K&N
3. 3.27's on a 5-speed

NA R/Ts are slow, for the hype it's been given. Exhaust and 5%pulley will guarantee victory.

There are three packages each of the Stealth & 3000GT.

The first is a regular SOHC 3.0L V6 engine with about 160 hp and something similar in torque. A stock SC could easily beat this in about any race.

The second package upgrades the same engine to a Dual overheadcam unit, producing the numbers you mentioned. This one is considerably faster, but it can still be beaten with stock SCs. I think it will depend greatly on the conditions of the car, environment, and driver, however.

The third package adds the infamous twin turbos to the DOHC 3.0. This engine makes 320 hp and 320 ft lbs of power stock. They are known for running as low as mid 13s stock, and in my experience, are very fast. Neat cars, with many features too. All wheel drive, all wheel steering, many electronics, 6 speed, ect. Unfortunately their avg used price puts them in a different league than the Supercoupe; often a good one is 10 grand.

So yes, IMO you can beat the DOHC N/A model with those mods. Just make sure you can launch decently.

Raced a DOHC

Hello,
I went to school with a guy who had a DOHC, and was always talking S**T about how fast his car was. After class one night we raced on an on ramp that led onto a freeway, it was a two lane for about 500ft then led into 4 lanes. I have all the boltons that are available and needless to say I pulled away from him from the beginning. It was not a race to say the least he he.
Laterz,
D Rainer

Tony8470 said:

1. CAI with K&N
3. 3.27's on a 5-speed

Here's my POV. Stock 5 speed 35ths get ~185-190 hp at the wheels. Gears don't add horse power, and exhaust with ANY CAI and K&N will not net you 35-45 hp, so I'm guessing you are throwing up crank numbers in which case 15 hp is ALSO pushing it with just a simple K&N and CAI.

If you can keep the wheels from hopping and spinning with those 3.27's in the 5 speed and shift REALLY good, you can hand him his arse.

Alex

15 hp is ALSO pushing it with just a simple K&N and CAI

I have the Exhaust too :)

But yeah, I tried to make it as unbaised as possible so I put the numbers from edmunds, to which I assume they were at the crank.

I always knew there was a slow v6 n/a version of it, I thought it was his, but damn 160hp in a flashy car like that.......ewww

Basically it comes down to whos the better driver then eh?

A Stealth R/T was actually the first "kill" I had with the SC. It wasn't the turbo version, but I walked right away from it, I only had the SC for 2 days, and it was COMPLETELY stock.

Basically, if he is stock and assuming both cars are running like they should, it comes down to if he has the turbo version or not.

Stock 3000gt TT's run lo 14's at the track at around 98-99ish.. If anyone says their TT runs lo 13's bone stock they been hittin the pipe..

I beat a 5-speed R/T DOHC w/ my 90 SC aod. I only had a transgo shift kit, scp aluminum intake w/ cone K&N filter, 70mm MAF, and a 190 LPH fuel pump. So basically my car was stock. I took him off the line and just kept pulling.

His girlfriend had been talking all this smack about how his car was gonna beat my t-bird. I should have made him put up some money to back up her mouth.

My 5-speed SC has gears, intake, exhaust, fuel pump, blower pulley, short throw shifter, and problaby something else I'm forgetting, but it wouldn't even be a race against a non turbo R/T.

You will beat him unless your SC is running like crap.

Dennis...you are right....a 3S ain't going low 13's stock.....but some freaks hit mid 13's stock and more than a handful can clip off respectible 13's at 100mph or higher. You know better than anyone that with the AWD it's all about how hard you want to rage on your car.

As for the topic at hand. I would not go into the race too cocky. 220HP Stealths are still mid 15 second cars. It should be close either way you cut it. If you can get traction, you should be able to beat him. But unfortunately I bet he'll hook up way better so it'll come down to top end. Should be interesting.

Micah

I think that unless he has drag radials up front and can launch at 7k and keep the revs high throughout the race his *** is yours. Those cars have no torque. The one I raced I have driven and from a low rpm launch or slow rolling start in gear its a complete turd. You have to rev it high to get the power.

Now the SC is more of a beast down low rather than up high. But we got the torque advantage so you can get him where it hurts, down low off the line. If you have good tires that can hook unlike my bald yokohama's then the 5-speed SC should spank the stealth badly. You have most of the mods I have on my SC and if I had dr's I'd be able to put the power to the ground. Right now if I hit it even from a roll I just lite the tires. So in the spring I'll be getting new tires for this thing.

Anyhow, I wouldn't worry about that car. He needs to keep the revs about 3500+ to get power out of that motor. Launch at about 1400 rpms and just watch him get small in your mirror :D

Phil, where in PA are you? I'd say bring the R/T to carlisle but you know damn well you better have the SC there this year. If my brakes weren't bad on my way home through PA the other day I'd have lined up my SC auto against your R/T.

Tony8470 said:

1. CAI with K&N
3. 3.27's on a 5-speed

You don't have that much horsepower or torque... not even close, and the R/T will stomp your *** into the ground.

So let me give you some suggestions... first, dyno your car before you post HP/TRQ figures... second, why not just race the guy and find out how slow you really are.

Peace

Ha is there beef?

I quote myself as those being estimations in 2 of my posts, 2nd it won't be on the road for awhile there is alot of smack talk going on within my group, that is why I posted this. Apparently I'm getting some more from here as well. I'll show you son.......

If those numbers are at the crank then the horsepower is easily reached, but i don't know about the torque. I haven't put an exhaust on my SC yet, and it's now for sale so i won't be, but the HP numbers should be easy to get with an exhaust alone. Torque seems kinda high, but he's estimating so what's the big deal? I've ridden in an R/T and wasn't impressed. I dind't have my SC on the road at the time so couldn't race the guy to see who would win but i've only got a 91 auto with an intake and Pro-M 76mm MAFS. But i think it would have been close and the guy was a pretty good driver. Scott's right though, not a lot of power off the line but when the revs get up they get soem power. I think the SC should win if it hooks up and runs well.

Just my opinion though.

SC UL8R1990 said:
pablo is a little upset.

{jerky boys} pablo,honey is that you? come back home pablo! {jerky boys} :p :D

Pablo, please come to Florida - we miss you... Pablo...you wash your a$$, Pablo? Keep yourself clean, 'oney?

haha, well i guess the torque wouldnt be at the crank, sorry, since the gears at the back arent near the crank on my car!

Back