fuel econo again...what is everyone else getting?

bigcletus94

My "low fuel" light comes on at 200 miles to the tank. Pisses me off considering my 5.0 mustang gets the same mileage with a smaller gas tank....this bucket just drinks gas like crazy. I am curious what other owners are getting for fuel economy that have 94-95 auto SC's. It seems that the cold weather has had some effect on this.

With mostly freeway driving I get about 20mpq. I drive kinda Fast too.....:)

Being off for the Christmas break I have been running around town and I only got around 17 on my last tank.

I would check the O2 sensors if I was only getting 15 on the hiway. You can make the $85 they cost back real quick in fuel savings.

Last edited:
My economy blows too

I gave up checking cause it was depressing. I am doing well to get 200-225 out of a tank right now with my '95 5 speed. That's around 15mpg. But that's city driving and I drive my car like I stole it with occasional sprints to 100mph or more when I do get it out in the boondocks. I have yet to see even close to the 29 mpg I got coming back from Tennessee when I bought it. My brother brags that he gets a lot better fuel economy with my car when he borrows it. I'm still not sure if that is something to be proud of :rolleyes: cause I know I have a lot more fun driving it the way it's supposed to be driven. Brandon

PS. I think the winter does have something to do with the worsened fuel economy. My '91 and '95 both get worse fuel econcomy when it gets cold.

Last edited:
I'm convinced that I could get well over 20 in the thing if I could just keep my foot out of it. But I'm usually dumping as much gas as my 190lph fuel pump will shove through my 42 lb. hr injectors. Even with some highway driving last summer I was getting about 10-14 mph average. I'm sure switching to the 3:55 gears didn't help.:D

I have a '93 auto and I get about 17-20mpg in town.
I actually got about 225 miles on the odometer right now and it's still showing 1/4 of a tank.
My first suggestions would be to clean/replace your O2 sensors for better gas mileage.

I average around 330+ miles per tank. When on long highway trips, I get up to 365-370.

Right now, I'm getting zero miles per tank because my odometer stopped working.

91 SC AOD

Im getting around 375-400 miles to the tank highway driving...just figured that out because of Christmas trips ( and it surprised me considering that means im driving 75pmh or better the whole trip) and I usually can get anywhere from 200-300 miles to the tank in the city depending on how hard I drive :)

Gig'Em

I'm Getting 350 per tank at 75-80 mph. It seems the faster you go the better milage you get! "God I love this Car" !!

One question: does the 93 have a low fuel light?:D

when i first got my SC i checked the mileage and was getting around 18 in town. Averaged about 26 on a trip to Seattle and back (about 600 miles total) and that was running about 80 most of the way , but i ran it up to 110 for a while too out in the middle of nowhere......then there was that BMW i was messing with on Snoqualmie Pass.....that's another story :) . All in all i'm real happy with the gas mileage, i mean it IS an almost 4000 lb car ! My car is a 90 AOD, totally stock except for exhaust....but it even had stock exhaust when i went on that trip.

my 1993 Auto has givin me a steady 18 mpg driving around town.....and I don't drive slow.

I have seen my best of 29 doing 55 on backroads. Doing 70 I get about 24-25.

My worst few tanks were when I first started driving it........around 13mpg, just because I was new to boost....and liked it.

In my other bird I noticed as my speeds increased past 70 so did the gas mileage....I got my best doing 85-95 for 200 miles------30mpg!

BlckOnBlckBrd said:
I have a '93 auto and I get about 17-20mpg in town.
I actually got about 225 miles on the odometer right now and it's still showing 1/4 of a tank.
My first suggestions would be to clean/replace your O2 sensors for better gas mileage.

Replaced the O2 sensors already. Could my ZR Intake effect fuel economy?

And another thing, it doesn't matter how I drive the car. I can drive it so I don't even go into the boost and I still get the same mileage. :mad:

Last edited:
Avg MPG Max MPG Min MPG
21.708 31.828 15.579

My numbers since I started keeping running records in December 1996. Get around 20 in town, 28 on the highway at 75 mph going until both idiot lights burn.

Have you tried to pull any stored codes?

Is your air filter clean? I see you get 200 miles a tank but is that 14 -15 gallons too? Do you have any codes?

When did you last put plugs

Have you been warming the car up a lot longer now that it is colder outside. Like I read earlier on the site. Your mpg idling in the driveway is 0.

gas mileage

Guys,
You may or may not believe this but, with Mobil 1 10w30, K&N filter and Flowmaster Delta's I get between 25 and 30 MPG on the highway. I once drove from NC to maryland at a steady 65 mph and got 32 MPG. It's a hig mileage auto with a Trans Go swift kit installed.

If you drive it hard around town all the time I guess you get the type of mileage you guys report.

gas mileage

My first T-Bird got over 26 mpg after replacing the stock mufflers and dats.

My other T-Bird, without the exhaust upgrade still gets 26 mpg!! I usually drive about 70 mph on the cruise control, but my long highway drives start about 4500 feet elevation, go up to 7320' and go downhill in the Sierras into the central valley of California. Long stretches of no changes in setting.

they say every 10 degrees cooler you get 10 % more power with sc so i imagine that means 10% more fuel ?
i notice lots of power and more fuel usage during the winter but im still near 20mpg local driving and 30 trips summer i get about 32 on a trip

Back