a/c

J

jonnyblaze

a/c

has any one have their a/c retrofit to r134a from r12 if so how much was the cost?or is is cheaper and eaiser to have it recharge with r12 .89sc

Re: a/c

From what I've heard, it is cheaper not only to use R134a now but also to convert it as opposed to refilling with r12. I have heard prices being as high as 65 $ a can for r12.

retro fit for r138

I recently changed mine to r138 to whole kit ran me about $35 at walmart. they sell extra cans of the stuff as well

Re: retro fit for r138

The kits work fine as long as you evacuate the system fully of the R-12 and old oil from it. If not other wise you'll damage your compressor. I would recommend putting new seals in it. And use gauges also so you know what your system is doing. You want to see between 30-35psi low side and 230-260psi high side at around 80-85 degrees with a/c on. Some people say these retro kits will destroy a compressor. I think they will only destroy a compressor if not done right. I've had mine converted over for three years and no problems.

Re: retro fit for r138

You need to completely evacuate the R12 from the A/C system, before applying the R134a. All I did was disperse all the R12 from the high-pressure line, and restored the system with R134a refrigerant oil first, then the freon. Mixing the two types together is rumored to be an explosive combo.

I am going to replace my accumulator drier and I also want to replace the orifice tube. I though that this was part of one of the hoses, but the auto parts stores keep telling me that I can just buy a new orifice tube for around $5.00 and replace it. Is this correct? If so, where is it?

No, The fixed orfice tube is inside the hose that runs from the condensor to the evaporator. It's the lower hose on the condensor and it is the right hose on the evap on the firewall. It's about $26 at Autozone. There might be kits to replace it, but you would have to cut the line apart and us compression fittings. Not worth the effort.

Last edited:
a/c retrofit

Hi,
I beleive that Greenfield hill service station in Fairfield CT retrofits the system and vacuums out the system and refil with r134a.

49.95 i beleive

-smutty

Back