Front Bumper '2 openings'

sail7seas

What are the 2 large off center openings in the front bumper for?
What are the deflectors for in these holes?

Has anyone used these openings for Cold air intake?

Air intake

"They are air intake"
Cools the radiator and IC but we found it works much better cutting the deflectors out more direct air to Radiator and IC the deflectors push the air away.

They look nice but need a little help for performance in making them work right

I read somewhere the deflector below the radiator prevented the SC from overheating on the highway, so I wonder about the effectiveness of the bumper openings.

I guess I could put some duct tape over them and see what happens to engine temperature. Cover them in the Winter?

How about redirecting the engine intake from the air siliencer to the opening in the bumper? (for cold air using 4" alum flexible pipe)

And less I am miss understanding something here the two holes in the front bumper are blocked by the metal front bumper. There is no effective cooling and is only there for show. If you cut the bottom of the metal bumper off and remove the honeycomb rubber, now you have cooling. I cannot imagine someone doing that.:cool:

Gary

kuhnga said:
And less I am miss understanding something here the two holes in the front bumper are blocked by the metal front bumper. There is no effective cooling and is only there for show. If you cut the bottom of the metal bumper off and remove the honeycomb rubber, now you have cooling. I cannot imagine someone doing that.:cool:

Gary

Would explain why you don't see them on mark 8's and the huge reduction in size on 96/97's

Gary they go through

"On the front bumper"

The two opnings like on my 90 on both sides of the SC in the center of the bumper go through. they have plastic deflectors forcing the air to the center of the raidiator behind them. if you cut the two plastic deflectors out on the drivers side it flowes more to the IC if you have a stock type IC. the air flowes better look through them you will see the radiator AC condencer .

I hope this is what he talking about?
I tryed blocking the bottom of the bumper off for better air flow like old 70's Pro Stockers use to do but that dident help any.

Gary I think if we add a front air dam it will gain MPH by keeping the air from going under the car at speed it pushes up and adds drag to the car. an air dam will push down flow over the car thus less drag on the car at speed

Last edited:
Jim the metal bumper is cut out slightly, I just dont think it does much. However they can be opened up and have a nice effect on a front mount. I looked at the air dam also but I think I would have trouble with the trailer loading.

Gary

Besides whigh they wouldn't deflect air onto the Radiator anyway-the A/C Condenser is in the way.

Anyone ever figured out a way to move the condenser to another spot? I was looking at that particular problem and a possible solution to the run warm issue-those things have to interfere with airflow through the radiator.

Back