Cam won't turn

35th T-bird SC

I think the machine shop messed something up with the cam bearings because the cam went in really tight and it won't turn. I noticed some scratches on the bearings when I brought the block home. I know they are different bearings and not all four are the same. Maybe he got the backwards. Are the bearings the same on other cars and he didn't realize they are different on mine? Now I need new bearings again and I have to drag the block back over there.:mad:

Another thing, are the cam bearings the same for LX and SC models. I just went into autozone and asked for my car and they ordered them. They were clevite. A box of four for $30. I notice ford sells them as "front" and "rear". Is the clevite set different sizes?

The cam bearings for a NA 3.8 or an SC 3.8 are the same.
Sounds like you got a buggered bearing. Are you sure you did'nt do it when installing the cam? Its real easy to do the first couple of times you install a cam until you get the feel for it.
Either way you're gonna have to get new bearings put in, just take it easy and be carefull because those sharp edges on the camlobes will gouge a bearing in the blink of an eye.

I got a good tip from my brother inlaw who is a Ford tech ( a good one).

put the block on end and of course have the cam lubed. Then with a bolt in the end of the cam just carefully feed it in the block without hitting the bearings with the lobes. Gravity works for you.

It worked great for me.

Are other engines different sizes on front and rear? (chevy) Is it possible to get them mixed up. I was careful, I had the cam sprocket on ther end for leverege. I saw nicks in it from when the machine shop installed them.

Yeah some engines have different size journals on the cam. I'm not sure about the 3.8 though, I'll have to look it up because I dont remember for sure.
Either way you will have to take it back to the machinist to be fixed, if you feel the machinist caused the problem talk to him about it in a nice polite way. I've never met a machinist that would not correct a mistake or problem they created free of additional charge to you. They are only human and sometimes make mistakes themselfs, we all do. Just talk to him about it.

I thought I read on a post a couple days ago of a guy who had problem w/ cam bearings. I BELEIVE someone had said that the rear bearing was .010 over OR under sized for some reason and that the guy needed to switch the two bearings. Like I said, I thought it was a couple days ago and am not positive. Might be worth checking out in the search forums. Wish I could remember the name of post, but can't..

Ooops, I think you're right Ripper.
Sorry, just trying to help..the embarrasment of it all..:eek:

Back