Rearend issues

Ritthjp

I've owned my 1990 T-Bird SC 5sp. since 1997. Back in 1997 I had the supercharger rebuilt, new tranny gears and at the same time 3.73 gears put in the rear end.. I used it as a daily driver and drag car for about 3 years, until a friend blew the casing of the transmission apart. Needless to say, it sat for about a year. Got it back together, and it ran smooth.

About a month ago, I was gettin ready to drag, and I literally shredded every part in the rear-end. I have a couple of questions. I've never tore into a rear-end.. so I'm kinda unfamiliar with them. What parts are in the SC 8.8 rear ends? I have to replace every part in there, including the half shafts. I've done all the other work to the SC, as well as all my other vehicles I've owned, just never a rear-end... Would I be able to do the work myself, or should I take it somewhere?

It's more than Nuts & Bolts!!!!!!

Personally, I wouldn't attempt ANY differential job. If you don't get the pinion depth set correctly (footprint), you'll be replacing the gears again shortly. Take it to some plae that does gears all the time. Pay the money now, you'll be many dollars ahead later!

68COUGAR

Back