Car Cover Question ?NonTech?

NorthrnSCownr

Any way, is there any negative effects that could occur from having snow or rain accumulate on a non water proof car cover?
I have the $40 one bought off Ebay... I hesitate to pu it on as were still getting rain here, but I just really dont know anything about them. Any comments are appreciated,
Thanks,
Tom

Tom they sweat

The car cover.
I live where it rains and snows a lot I had my car cover on my SC it rained on it lifted it up all weat under it. if you leave it on the car after the rain it sweats under it real bad for the paint.

If you have clear coat or just paint it will try to lift it meaning moisture gets under the paint serface. I take mine off until dry weather when they get wet there real hard to dry have to hang them up hope this helps.

Thanks Jim,
Thats what I thought I had heard. Hmmm almost makes me think its not worth putting on until the buds and pollen start falling in the spring. I want a garage!!!
Peace,
Tom

Car cober + garage is cool.. even if the garage isn't exectly moisture free?? There's isn't any leaks or anything, it just that there's no insulations and like small6-8" gap under the Bay doors :eek: (hey it was made in the '40's or 50's )

One bad thing about any car cover is that you shouldn't put them on a dirty car, because the combination becomes like sandpaper on the paint, and if it's a windy day, it's even worse. On light colored cars, you wouldn't notice too easily, but on black or dark colors...ouch.

This makes more work unfortunately, in that you have to wash or at least quick detail the car before you put the cover on. You can of course throw it on anytime, but if the whole idea of having one is to keep the paint nice, you're defeating your purpose.

The only other thing I can think of is that moisture gets trapped longer (although the covers breath some, they still hold moisture in longer than a car in the open air) so you have to make certain you have no rust or chipped paint, and plenty of wax or sealant on the car.

They can save a lot of work with leaves etc. but they also create some maintenance too.

Cheers.

I'd be real hessitant to you use a $40 car cover myself. You would probally be better off not using it at all.

Thomas

Back