Oil pump question..quick

fastsc92

Alright, the motor is on its way back together after ported heads and a cam. I dont know if this is completely nessesary, but do i NEED to get a new oil pump? I work at car-quest, and we only offer a rebuild kit, which just includes new 7 tooth gears and that by-pass valve in the timing cover. The teeth on my pump aren't worn at all, and neither is the pump itself. The clearances are tight and it opperates smoothly. Buying a rebuild kit doesn;t seem like it would make a difference. I know Melling makes a new pump (m246), with 8 tooth gears, but do i need to replace it? How much more volume can these produce, and is this extra volume needed? I've just about run out of money, and if it is 100% needed then i will change the pump, but otherwise, i'd like to leave it. How much do the new pumps with 8 teeh go for?

Shouldn't have to worry about it if your lash readings were within specs. Just fill the cavity with petroleum jelly to make sure it's primed. Where did you get your o-ring? cuz mine that came out of the top end kit from felpro is shaped totally different.

i got my o-ring from my timing cover set, from carquest....which is made by victor reins. It fits right in the groove, so i guess its going to work. BUt yes the clearances are tight, and i was getting 25psi warm oil pressure before i swapped cam and heads, so i'm assuming the pump is in great working order.

Back