FUel TaNk Removal

SCBiscuit

HMM time to talk strange again.. im trying to replace my slave clutch cylinder..... do i have to remove the gas tank just to get the driveshaft out just to get the tranny out...this car is such a pain..please i need a quick response.. im working on this mofo as we speak (or read) i know someone out there has a better way... this car is a PAIN.. i dont think ill be keeping it after i get it running(gimme 6 months).. i just cant turn down a challenge.. but its such a hassle to do anything. cant change spark plugs without taking something off.. anyways enough crying like a lil girl.. let me know what i can do to get this new slave cylinder on by the end of the night aka 2 am

Just drop the differential down. Three bolts and just lower it with a floor jack. Then you will be able to slide the driveshaft back to gain the clearance you need.

Bryan

I would support it on 4 jack stands. You may be able to support the rear on blocks but only if you live in a trailer park. Honestly I think jack stands are the safest bet.

Bryan

Hmmmm

All I did was removed the bolts from the driveshaft, removed the 4 bolts hold the diff, and used a transmission jack(auto hobby shop) to hold on to the diff while i was takin out the bolts, then just let the diff down slowly...the halfshafts were still connected and they supported the diff...there is just enough clearance between the diff and the body to slide the driveshaft over the diff...probably not the smartest way, but it worked for me..

[/end]
stephen

here, i just dropped my tank and trany not too long ago in my swap. Its STILL on jack stands too. Ill be online too you can IM me AIM Tony8479

1. support rear of car (make sure front wheels are chocked)
2. there is a bolt holding the filler tube on the passenger side, take it off.
3. there are 2 straps holding the tank in place, get your jack and a 1'x1' board so you dont dent the tank shield, and put the jack against the tank.
4. unbolt the straps, (4 bolts) your gonna need a 1' bar to reach up in for one of em.
5. Lower the tank SLOWLY, remember there is gasoline in there. I left it on the jack because I didnt feel like disconnecting the filler tube, which isnt necessary.
6. unbolt the driveshaft when putting it back on i think its like 80 ft lbs torque, theses were hard to get off. Good luck getting a socket in there! Use the box end of a wrench and hammer it loosewith a rubber mallet.
7. slide the driveshaft out
8. put the tank back in place.

anything I forgot?

Back