Rebuilding motor, need sum ideas please

cptnwoody02

i recently bought a 89 SC off a buddie of mine, he drove it till white smoke rose out of the birds mouth and died there in the back of his ranch.... that car has been out for 5 yrs, and he has spent 4000.00 tryin to bring it back, and it never comes out right. i bought it from him for 200.00, saved it from the scrap yard. anyways i need sum help yall. im gonna rebuild it just as a daily driver, and maybe to piss off sum Z28s and other lil chevys. any ideas on what to put in? and what to do? needs complete rebuild.

Last edited:
Sounds like this may be your first rebuild. I recomend that you spend some time reading up on engine rebuilding before you get out the wrench's. There is alot more to building an engine that will live a long life than just bolting parts together, thats the reason it costs so much money to have an engine built by a builder. You will spend far more time measuring and checking parts and setting all the clearances on parts than actually putting it together, that stage lasts as long as a blink of the eye compaired to the rest of it.

yeah ur right, i wanted to go into the motor, but hmm.. ive never put together a newer motor. i mainly deal with carb. motors. i wanted to go into the motor, but im thinkin just to find a motor thats running and just do a swap. and maybe use the other block for preformance mods. but hey thanks for the input.

how bout strokin that baby!!!

get yourself hooked up with www.supersixmotorsports.com and build a 4.3 stroker motor. they use a 4.2l crank and 351windsor rods and bored oversized pistons in whatever bore you need. they custom cams and head packages. they will work with you really well to get whatever you need. they know what will work with the boosted motor. im using this platform when i decide to go internal on my car.

have fun man, let us know what you do.

finding a donor motor will be a PITA i have been up and down the valley at every wrecking yard possible and no SC's to be found. Jasper should offer a reliable block that can be tweaked for your performace wants or needs. but if u do find a donor HG's HG's HG's replace THESE, that is probably why your car crapped out the first time.

yea thats exactly y it blew.... they put them on wrong! i have to SC motors, on is striped to the block and pistons, and the other is just taken apart. no one here has SCs at the junk yards. i have parts but... no one knows how to work on them. they try wingin it..... i took the car on a flat bed to ford and they said... no that they would just order a new motor and drop it in... that they dont have anyone capable of fixin it... i was like wut?! i found a guy who made the car turn on, wit only 4 decent pistons workin!!! but he closed down his shop, and i dont know where he is :(

if ford won't work on your car than that just SUXS i was lookin up and down the valley for an SC but nothin NOWHERE i had to go to florida to find one in decent shape just got back 4-5 days ago i am scared and shocked that our local ford dealerships don't have techs that can work on these cars if u find anyone localy please let me know i have a few bugs in my car that need to be straightened out before i can even register it here.

Back