k&n filters again

bad cat

i just bought a xr7 and it came with a k&n air filter i bought the recharger kit and washed it and let it dry

when i oil it do i want to oil both sides or just the clean side?

Just oil the side that is facing the incoming air stream. If you oil both sides, you will probably have trouble with your MAF. Too much oil on the filter and you'll get residue attaching to the MAF filament. That will, of course cause other related issues. If you've got the stock air box, then oil the side of the filter that goes down. And let it dry for a day or so after oiling it too. That will help reduce the oil getting on the MAF.

thanks i will get right to that whyle i wait for it to dry i will take out the air silencer and check for vac leaks with a propane torch

I oil both sides. The kit from K&N has a red tracer in the spray so you can ensure you cover the whole filter and don't add excess.

I wash the filter and let it dry for a few hours in the sun. Then spray the oil on it and let it dry for 1/2 hour. Then touch up any areas that are still white. Let it sit for a few hours and you shouldn't get any problems with the MAF.

Back