Weird sound

Back n black bird

I'm getting this weird humming sound in the dash whenever i get past 40mph. As soon as i let off the gas it stops a bit, I tryed turning off the radio, heater, everythnig i could to see if it was affecting it but nuthin helped, even tried pushing on the panels to see if it was a panel. Anyone else had this problem and could point me in the right direction. Thanks. its a 1990SC

Could it be sound that is transmitted through the car and it's something driveline related?

i'm not sure but i dropped the glove box, and unclipped it so it was all the way down, and its coming from in there behind the glove box.

Can you describe the sound in further detail? Especially its pitch? How fast is it getting louder? Does it change with RPM? It it different when warm or cold? Ect..

same tone but as i get lower then 40mph is basically goes away. Today it wasn't doing it till i was coming home from work. Its alot like a loud whistle. I don't know how better i can descrbe it. Its loud enuff to piss you off but not loud enuff to hurt your ears.

Unfortunately there are still many possibilities.

I assume the only specific condition for this sound is it occurs, regularly with an even tone, at any time over 40 mphs. I assume this is independent of car temp, throttle position, outdoor temp, RPMs, ect.

This being the case, it very possibly is not related to any engine components. This essentially leaves the suspension or drivetrain.

Shut your engine down while this is occuring, and observe the status of the noise. Does it dissappear? If not, you may have a bad wheel bearing.

If it does disappear, it could be related to the clutch or transmission. Do you have a 5 speed? Push your clutch in while this happens. Does it go away? If it doesn't, put your transmission in nuetral and release the clutch pedal. How about now?

If you've an automatic, try using neutral.

If it persists after disengauging clutch/transmission, but dissapears with shutdown, it is very likely a component related to your engine.

Back