Car starts but does not go...

stas

Car starts but does not go...desparate

Hello to all, there's a weird problem with my 90 Supercoupe (auto). Majority of times it starts right after I start the car. The check engine light goes on and the car dies. If I try to drive it, it feels like the car has 5 horse power, it will barely move. When it does move it produces a loud "howling" noise, the check engine light remains on. The engine does not go above about 1500 rpm no matter how much throttle is applied. This conditions sometimes kicks in during driving as well. I have no idea what that can be. Any input will be greatly appreciated.
Thank you,
Stas.

Last edited:
Pulling the codes from that CEL would probably narrow it down pretty quick.

Ok, I did the KOER test. The only code that came up was 41, which is Oxygen Sensor circuit shows that engine is lean on the right bank. Any ideas? Test was conducted with the car acting up.
Thank you,
Stas.

Hello, I replaced the oxygen sensors. The car is still acting up. Can anyone suggest what else I should check, which might contribute to the symptoms above? No one had that problem? Simply running out of ideas.
Thank you,
Stas.

Check the DIS

I had a similar sounding problem last year on my 91 SC. Being a first time owner and unaware of this board i took it into the shop. They got the same code i believe and replaced my O2 sensors..no difference in the running fo the car....it would run great sometimes then just kick out and run like sh**no power, and no acceleration.

Long story short, I replaced the DIS and it solved my problems. It turned out a couple cylinders werent firing because of a bad DIS.

The howling could be your IAC. Mine would do that too until I replaced it. But with mine the howling was mostly at stoplights and when i shut it down you could tell it would sort of wheeze out as it winded down.

So there's my SWAG at your problem, dunno if it helps.

Good Luck and dont get to stressed, you'll figure it out.

Gig 'Em

Back