testing the regulator

91CaliTBIRD

i know to test the fuel pressure regulator is to disconnect the vacuum line while the SC is running and if there is any fuel at all coming out of the vac. line, it means the fuel pressure regulator is bad. My question is this..is there only one vac. line on the fpr? Is it easy to just disconnect the vac. line so i can test the regulator? Give me a couple pointers please. Thanks

Yes that vac line going to the FPR has nothing else connected to it, it goes straight from the FPR to the vac nipple on the pressurized side of the intake manifold. Thats the one that is coming back from the IC and going into the lower intake manifold.

thanks Mike38SC, can i get to the vac. line on the fpr fairly easy or do i have to dissassemble to reach it? or is it easier to disconnect the other end on the intake to test the fpr? Thanks again.

Why do you think the FPR is bad? Have you already tested the fuel pressure and found a problem? A little more info about the symptoms would be helpful. If it's completely failed and is shooting gas through the vacuum line, this would have a very noticible impact on the engine performance...

Hey Rob, Yea its got a performance issue, it falls on its face for a split second whenever it feels like it and always it feels slow, even at idle sometimes i can feel it acting up a bit. The fuel pressure is low as weird as it sounds the diagnostic idiot checked the fuel pressure (ignition is good he said) and said it reads "10psi when running and goes to 18psi when you shut it off". That sounds damn low and makes me wonder if it should even run as good as it does. assuming thats true i installed a 255gpl fuel pump. same problem

I can't imagine the car would run at all if the fuel pressure was really 10psi at idle. It would be a good idea to check that measurement again. A stumble or hesitation can be cause by many many things, and replacing the FPR is sort of a PITA, so you want to be sure about that...

Back