So I took out my shifter yesterday......

SLP007

and this is what i found. There was no tension at all with the stocker, I lifted it out and it basically fell apart. Replaced it with a ripper and now all is well with the world.

Attachments

• shifter.jpg
    shifter.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 226
How hard was that job, I'm getting ready to do it because my shifter is sloppy as hell. I might take the cheap route and buy Ford parts to fix it.

I think my shifter looked a bit worse. Can you pull it up about 1/8-1/4 in. from the base? And to beleive, aamco told me my shifter was fine just a couple weeks before. The ripper is great though. Even better with a different extension on the top, the curved/bent deal sux in my opinion.

pearl95sc said:
I think my shifter looked a bit worse. Can you pull it up about 1/8-1/4 in. from the base? And to beleive, aamco told me my shifter was fine just a couple weeks before. The ripper is great though. Even better with a different extension on the top, the curved/bent deal sux in my opinion.

So you're not supposed to be able to pull up on the shifter and have it move?? Might be time to get a ripper shifter for my '94 then. I can pull it up a good 1/2", and sometimes it's hard to shift into 2nd.

Night/Day differece with a Ripper Shifter

i bought the B & M ripper shifter i liked it then with my stock handle, but i went with my brother to Mustangs Unlimited and i looked at what they had in stock for a shorter shifter handle and they had the Pro 5.0 shifter arm (pretty short), i looked at it and bought it, and an aluminum shifter knob. I love it now... the other handle i wouldn't mind getting is one they had from SSM (South Side Machine) i seen it in a jegs catalog, Had 3, 2 hole positions for forward to rear adjustment spots.. i might get that this year to try it out.. But the Shifting in your car will be so much quicker, and the spring loaded neutral position handle is nice, you have to move it over to go into 1st with a little force (you'll have to get used to it a little) awesome spring tention compared to my stock one that was loose. never thought of what just a shifter could do. i asked people about if it made a difference and they responded like it made a big difference, i was kinda thinking (how much could a shifter really do ?) but you'll see when you get one, Good Luck on your New Toy !!
Alex LaChance

pearl95sc said:

I got u all beat, after a whilie mine cam completely out.

This is what happened to me. I knew that my shifter was "loose" but while I was sitting at a stop light this mustang gt pulled up beside me. Well you all know the rest. We took off and he left me sitting still. But in the fun, I went to shift into 3rd, my shifter came out! I manage to get the shifter in and limp home. That was on a Sat. night and I needed my bird the next day. No one had parts to fix. I repaired the shifter with a piece of copper wire. It works great! I was going to buy a new shifter, but have not done it yet. If anyone is interested in my fix let me know. Heck, I could make one for ya and send it to you. Cost is minimal! Just pay for shipping.

Back