cant beleive it

belucky

just went outside and wired my bypass open n finished pullin belt off n guess what blower wasnt the real problem (even though im sure it is still in need of rebuild)i just cant believe that the engine fell apart but if i was a guessin man it sure sounds like it.theres a major knock and then it squells (aint funny man i aint got another car yet)then it doesnt wanna idle, or run at all really.almost sounds like someones bangin on the exhaust pipe er somim,the knock definitly aint no bs,its got some bass to it.(not cool)the thing is it didnt have any major knock before,the knock that was obvious was comin from the blower,it had good oil pressure,n plenty of oil.now im lieing to say that it sounded like a champ whenever i gave it gas in neutral and let the engine freewheel it would have a little knock,but nothin like this thats fer sure.let me know what ya think,anything obvious i should look for n what-not.this all happened last friday knight on the way home after i did beat it a little.i know what the math ads up to just tell me somim different please.

Dam I wish I had some good news but if it knocks under load you have a spun rod bearing most likely. You can never tell untill you pull it out tear it down. These motors tend to keep oil pressure untill its totaly gone. One last thing you can check is the torque converter bolts but not real probable.

Sounds like you got a rod knocking, I've heard that sound before.
I once had a Cleveland engine that started making a ticking lifter sound and withint 3 blocks it was a full blown knock. Spun a rod bearing and I was'nt even hot rodding it, just driving around normaly. Sucks I know.:(

outside whats been mentioned

look for bad motor mounts .. oil pan hitting cross member .... bottom stud of the Intercooler ..hitting the body ...I had a cracked flywheel ..on a 305 chevy ...sound like a rod gone bad..I replaced a bad lifter ..in my 89 xr7 ...that's not to bad of a job changing lifters ... need to find out if it's top end or bottom end ...tell you from experince ..if you spin a bearing .... the oil don't smell to good and nothing like oil ...try taking a long bar ..wood..plastic ...metal .something ...and try to isolate the noise ...by placing one end to your ear ..and the other end all over the motor ....dave

You might try this:
Start your engine and while idling, remove a spark plug wire from coil, and listen for the knock. If the knock is still there, reinstall wire and go to the next cylinder. Continue untill the knock gets quieter or goes away altogether. That will tell you which cylinder has the problem. When you take away the combustion stress off of the cylinder, most of the time the knock will quiet down.

yea, i had the same thing happen to me, either they just went bad or there is something in the oil....mine had the same noises, and it was a connecting rod bearing, so it soudns like ur in the same boat i was...oh well rebuilds are fun...cough....expensive. haha

yea i guess this is nothin new,but yes it still sucks.i talked to a couple of friends today.and they agree the thrust bearings probably went in the crankshaft.i gess its common with these and the scretching noise is the bearings trying to ceaze.anyway i found a 94 engine in good shape,im going to try this thing one more time and im going to post a thred on this.what do i need for the change over?mine is a 90,the things i know about are,the comoputer,the inlet tube for the blower.i think thats it.please correct me if im wrong. thanks

Upon reading this thread, I remember mine ticking on 2 different occasions. It sounded like it was coming from the pass side of the engine, however on both occasions the ticking went away by itself after about 3 minutes, and I can't quite figure it out. The motor seems to idle rock steady, even when it's ticking. I'm thinking Stuck Valve?
Ideas?

Belucky, Didn't mean to hijack your thread, but sure beats starting yet another one on the matter.

puddle of oil

while i was investigatin a little more tonight i noticed there was a puddle of oil undernieth the car so i pushed it backwards to make sure it was oil and it was but why would that happen? and why would there be good oil pressure the whole time?i put more oil in and started it,the noise didnt seem qiute as bad but still obviously loud its weird it squelles more than it knocks.anyway ill have it towed this week n find out fer sure whats up.fords tranny fluid is red right?anyway,ill know more later next week.just wish i had a place to work on it here wantin to know what happened pretty bad.

Another way to check for internal engine damage is to remove the oil filter and cut it open. If a bearing or something is gone, the filter will catch it.

yea

thats not a bad idea turbo,ill work on it or one of my budies will next week.got a friend that definitly knows whats up,that works at a ford dealer here in rockford,ill.not as inclined to deal with supercoupes like some of you but i would say i wouldnt be afraid to turn him loose on about anything.he works on alot of volvos to so he knows a little about turbos n whatnot.

Back