Thermostat housing - what can it cost?

Scott-Atah

OK, so found out coolant is leaking...because one of two possibilities (so my mechanic says)

1. This being the more likely that the thermostat housing is screwed and needs to be replaced, hopefully he can find the parts. How much could that cost for that housing? And why have i had to replace the thermostat about 5 times no in the 4 years i've owned the car.

2. He said the second possibility was there's a crack on the intake side of things (i think thats what he said)although he couldn't specifically find a crack, that was a possibility. I dunno if that all makes sense or not as i'm not too mechanically inclined, but sounds expensive to me.

Do you SEE coolant leaking from the thermostat housing? Seems like that would be fairly easy to spot. If it needs replacing, the classifieds or junkyard might be your best source.

If you have a coolant leak that doesn't leak outside the engine, then you could have a more serious problem, such as a blown head gasket, or a leak in the water passage where the intake manifold meets the head.

What tests has the mechanic already done?

My thermostat housing is leaking as well, right out the bottom of the housing under the thermostat. Just start for no reason. The housings are very prone to warping, I have warped a few already, I wonder if it has somethign to do with the fact the lower is aluminum and the thermostat housing is steel, maybe its cause they expand at different rates, or maybe the thermo housing is too thin and the heat warps it. I dunno. The thermo housing sare not expensive, at least the mustang ones are not, but the SC ones have the extra coling tube so they are probably more $$$. I bought mine used when I needed a new one.

My housing was warped, and I used the unrecommended method of applying Copper RTV to fix it. I believe a new housing is $180.00. :eek:

V6Sprout; If these housings are in fact warping for reasons other than overtightening, I believe this will soon become an expensive problem for many SCs.

I believe a viable aftermarket alternative would be very beneficial in terms of practicality and expense. Unfortunately, none exists that I know of at this time.

The mustang housings are not nearly that much, I think they were only like $25 CDN, they are almost identical but the SC one has the temp sensor in the housing where as the mustang has the sensor in the lower intake.

Digitalchaos said:
My housing was warped, and I used the unrecommended method of applying Copper RTV to fix it. I believe a new housing is $180.00. :eek:

V6Sprout; If these housings are in fact warping for reasons other than overtightening, I believe this will soon become an expensive problem for many SCs.

I believe a viable aftermarket alternative would be very beneficial in terms of practicality and expense. Unfortunately, none exists that I know of at this time.

Well if those things cost $180.00 I'll start building those as well as the radiators I'm building. :D

That would be excellent MIKE 38sc; the specialized aftermarket community for our cars is part of what really sets them apart!

Make sure the gasket you use is Supercoupe specific. Go to FORD, no one else. I changed that T-stat gooseneck assembly (yes it is around $160.00 - $200.00). I couldn't get the correct gasket from the stealership when I bought the assembly so I went to crappy tire. I couldn't get it to stop leaking. I tore three of them assembling and re-assembling the unit while trying to stop the leaking before I got the brillliant idea to find another FORD dealer. The correct gasket is three times thicker than the others and it went on easy & held on tight.

Mine was warped. I just took a hammer and a flat punch and beat it back into shape. It's only stamped steel.

Screw the extra work or buying a new one. RTV all the way. It is a little harder to work with, but it holds. No complaints here.

P.S. I'm pretty sure i bent mine a little when I tied the ps bracket assy. to it while putting in my radiator. Dumb, yes, but a good idea at the time.

i hadn't seen anything leaking under the car, and like i said not the most mechanically inclined so i wouldn't completely know where to look in the engine for all that (until now anyways).

It's been doing this for a couple weeks though, and i've ignored it...but the lack of coolant means lack of heat and in -30C weather it's starting to suck!. But i don't think it's a headgasket or anything like that.....cause i've been thru that before and this is definitely nothing like htat

why don't you buy a gasket.
mine cost about 3 bucks from the local parts place

however only one out of about 6 or 8 places had 1 in RI

a little old but..

Its essentially because if the thermostat housing is warped, a gasket will do nothing. I bought a Motorcraft unit & found coolant gushing from my thermostat the second I started the car. I sealed it with Copper rtv, but found out that it doesn't hold coolant. Now I have the same problem, and am looking for a new housing.

THe cheapest I have found one new is 167 dollars from an online parts vendor; the name of which currently eludes me.

Hoping to pick one up from a reputable member used; I think thats the best solution until the aftermarket picks up on this.

Back