PDA

View Full Version : 90 SC Rebuild

SCfromBC
01-06-2004, 10:16 PM
I am going to be ripping a motor that I got from a wreckers apart soon.I
dropped it in a while ago and it ran terribly. I sourced the problem to the head gasket. I plan on taking it completely apart,hot tanking,checking pistons
new rings,bearings,flowing the heads ,some oiling upgrades,more aggressive cam.Essentually having every thing looked at and replacing what needs to be replaced. Any suggestions on some changes,or upgrades on the bottom end
while I have it apart. I have heard talk of the stroker from supersix, Has
anyone done it and were the costs crazy? Also any suggestions on places to get cam profiles so I can take it to the local cam guy? Thanks.

aplvlydrtybird
01-07-2004, 12:20 AM
Originally posted by SCfromBC
I am going to be ripping a motor that I got from a wreckers apart soon.I
dropped it in a while ago and it ran terribly. I sourced the problem to the head gasket. I plan on taking it completely apart,hot tanking,checking pistons
new rings,bearings,flowing the heads ,some oiling upgrades,more aggressive cam.Essentually having every thing looked at and replacing what needs to be replaced. Any suggestions on some changes,or upgrades on the bottom end
while I have it apart. I have heard talk of the stroker from supersix, Has
anyone done it and were the costs crazy? Also any suggestions on places to get cam profiles so I can take it to the local cam guy? Thanks.

if your taking it apart, you might as well have the engine bored, get oversized pistons whether they be forged or hypereutechtic, the rods should be fine, you will want to have them reconditioned if you are reusing them, all new bearings of cours, and ARP studs, at least for the heads, the mains dont need to be ARP, but a nice upgrade. i got my pistons in a package from northerb auto, and it was around 550, and it came with overszed pistons, rings, gaskets, etc, it was a great deal, not forged but, oh well guess i cant run nitrous, wasnt planning on it anyways. oh i got a iol pump rebuild kit too, because the oil pump is part of the timing cover. it was a good deal IMO, of course i was on a pretty tight budget, cause i had my tranny rebuilt too, but yea im sure i've forgotten something. but that should give you an idea of some sort

SCfromBC
01-08-2004, 01:38 PM
Thanks Keith.

aplvlydrtybird
01-08-2004, 02:32 PM
not a prob