POwer window and power mirror electrical questions

Ripper

I bought an 89 sc recently, its kinda a basket case. The keys I have dont work for the doors, the keypad doesnt work or seem to do anything. The power door locks seem to work fine for both doors. The passenger side window does nothing from either switch. The drivers side window is not engaged with the motor (you can push it up and down by pressing the glass) the motor only runs in the up position, nothing in the down direction. The power mirrors dont do crap either.

I took the drivers side door panel off and found that the door alone has more wiring than some cars have under the hood. Is there anywhere to find a schematic for the electrical online?

or is there something in common with all these problems that I can look at?

I cant beleive these sc have "units" or "modules" for just about everything

I couldnt really find anything. My problem seems half mechanical and half electrical.

Does anyone know of any schematics floating around? or how to pull the motor out of the door?

Edit, I was searching wrong. I found all kinds of information and from what I can determine I have a bad switch or 2 and broken dowel/clutch/safety pins in the gear drive of the motor. I also have to clean and lube the track. Awesome forum! you just gotta know how to search on here. I was searching the entire forum and not just the technical forum.

Last edited:
Go to Helms.com and buy the EVTM. I have one but you seem to need a lot of pages, so it would be better to get the whole book (it's cheap).

There is a splice in the drivers side floor that goes bad, causing the power mirrors to stop working.

Aaron

I bought an evtm of ebay for a pretty good price, just waiting for it to get here.

I found my problems on the windows, the switch on the drivers door was very corroded and I cleaned up the contacts with 800 grit wet/dry.

The drivers side motor also had the blue plastic busings inside the motor gorund up, I changed them out with some ball bearings I had laying around.

The Passenger side motor was completely dead. I took it apart and cleaned up the brushes and other internals, used the same 800 grit on the armature of the motor and its now perfect up and down. Also cleaned the passenger side switch.

The power mirrors still dont work but I am working on that next I will check that splice.

Thank you!

Back