tranny not shifting from 2-3 or 3-4

Ripper

I have been reading every AOD post I can find but didnt really find any info on problems with it not shifting at all.

My AOD seems to lurch a little at idle and feels a little ruff just off idle. When you drive the car the shift from 1-2 seems pretty normal. It doesnt shift anymore than that.

The car is kinda rough and I am sure the motormounts are shot, also the speedo is not working

could the warn motor mounts have anything to do with it not shifting to 3rd? like messing with the cables? I know the speedometer is electric and it doest seem to work could there be some kind of sensor keeping it from shifting?

I just bought the car and dont know anything about the history of it

Exactly what my 89 did after we changed the orings for the A/C lines hooking int forewall. You need it rebuilt I would say. Look and see if the throtle position cable is hooked up under hood at the throtle body where your footfeet cable goes. Next to it is another cable attached by a little plastic piece that can brake. We broke it and tranny did exactly what you said on way home. If it does the tranny burns up in a few blocks. Shifts real good 1-2. Actually felt like we had more power at times. It may be disconnected underneath as well. Either way it hurts it. I learned the hard way. Tranny shop down here rebuilt and put metal bushing etc to hold it on. 950 + tax so a cool $1K.

Tranny shop says some Chevy trucks are same way so it isn't just ford.

I just believe you are looking at a rebuild. But I would take the whole car and only to someone who has done AODs before. Make sure they fix what caused it. Lot of SC owners in PA they should help you.

This car is kinda a project for me this winter. I will either replace the tranny or rebuild it myself. I can get technical and dirty, I just like to ease into things and make sure Im not overlooking anything simple.

Well AOD in my 92 SC did the exact samething you described, drove it all the way home from school(about 120 miles) got excellent gas mileage, then came to a stoplight about 15 minutes from my house, the transmission locked up, they told me I needed a total rebuild, said the transmission was just shot from old age, ended up putting in a remanufactured jasper unit in it cost about $1200 for the trans but works good as new

Back