Starts normal, dies in 2-3 seconds. Ideas?

Doug Franklin

Starts normal, dies in 2-3 seconds. I deas?

Cousin coming with his scanner and I am going to check fuel pressure before he gets here. 95-5 starts normal then dies every time.

Car has sat for a month not started. I changed battery this morning. It was very cold.

Seems like if you hit the gas it dies quicker, not sure.

If I turn key off right when it cranks then turn it on quick I can keep it running with RPMs going up and down as I do it.

Just wondered if anyone has had this problem before? Wonder if I knocked something out when I put battery in. I may have had ignition switch on when I hooked up battery as there was a larger spark than normal when I put ground cable on battery.

(This thread had a solution to my problem, but all ideas below are good. Thanks to all and this club)

Last edited:
Starts normal, dies in 2-3 seconds. Ideas?

That happen to me and adding 5+ gallons of gas fixed it. I was getting a squirt of gas at the rail but not enough to keep it running. Good luck

along the same lines.. condensation? it sat for a month you said. maybe some water in the gas?

Thanks, tried it guys but same thing. Will do the checks. This is why I don't want a street SC with that engine or this old. Also why I hate all the electronics. You can't just jump out, fix it, and get where your going like the old days, even though they needed more attention.

Probably not but...

If it starts up and revs to 2500 or whatever and then just falls back down and instead of catching at idle (~700) just dies completely, check for vacuum leaks (IC tubes etc). This is what happened to me. Probably not in the situation you're describing but just in case check...

edit: guess you did say you just put the battery back in - maybe knocked the IC around or something???

Last edited:
Try a different MAFS before you do anything! My car did the same thing and I tried everything (and I mean everything!). Ended up being a bad MAFS. Try disconnecting the MAFS and see if it idles.

MAF: I want to THANK ALL OF YOU, THANK YOU!!!

If any of you have had help getting your SC running then this is why I paid that $15 to join and support this web site. I hope the rest of you do the same. Below was the answer to this car's problem, though all of you right because it could have been any of these problems.

Brandon said:
Try a different MAFS before you do anything! My car did the same thing and I tried everything (and I mean everything!). Ended up being a bad MAFS. Try disconnecting the MAFS and see if it idles.

I disconnected MAF and it stayed running, so now in garage. Thanks Brandon. I know it isn't a cheap part but saves my cousin and I the checking in this freeze we are in right now. They are up the street putting an engine in one of their sons ricer he burnt so bad it is locked when cold. So they are busy and don't need to fool with me. He won't loan his big scanner.

Brandon it was the first thing I looked at, made sure it was connected. I forgot they run without it. Grandaughter missed a day of school as they spent the night here because apt heater quit and I put my Co Van in shop. Was 19-22f last 2 nights which is cold for us. 44 feels like freezing to a TX.

Thanks again all. You guys are the greatest.

Speculation

Do you think I poped MAF when I put the battery in? I had an unusually big spark on 2nd cable install. I believe I left the key in and ignition on so bang the battery hit and maybe just right. Maybe not but wonder.

Re: Speculation

Doug Franklin said:
Do you think I poped MAF when I put the battery in? I had an unusually big spark on 2nd cable install. I believe I left the key in and ignition on so bang the battery hit and maybe just right. Maybe not but wonder.

I'm really unsure....it probably just went bad from sitting. I fooled around with my car for probably 8 months on and off before I figured out that was the problem. Glad you got yours figured out quickly. I know what the cold is like....it shows 20F here, but with the wind chill it's probably way colder.

This morningpluged MAF in and it would not even start. Just sputter and die. Unplug again and she fires up and runs.

We sure need to index the FAQ and add to it with articles so that we come up with the common man's guide to diagnostics. Experience!!

Below is the 3 books to health and happiness for an SC. But who has time for this on a daily driver? Owning a code reader or doing it the old fashion way is a must. But you can't beat the above folks experience with solving problems. Brandon 8 months, me one day same problem.

Also we need to ask those who ask questions to report what fixed the problem. Too many times we don't get a follow up.

Attachments

• dsc00562.jpg
    dsc00562.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 146
Last edited:
check the for sale forums....

I got a MAFS for my 93 (just the sensor not the MAF tube) for $15 in the for sale forums. It was more expensive to buy the damn torx screw bits with the little holes in them so I could take the sensor off the tube!

Brian

check charging system if the computer dont get a good amount of juice ( ibeleive 12 volts) it wont run. also check to make sure all plug wires are on.

Found out MAF is same 91-95. (Surprise) Took off of son's 91 which spun a bearing. It works on the 95 fine.

Good Ending thanks again all!!!!!!!

:) :) :) :) :)

Back