car dies when maf electronics are connected

tadmichael22

I have installed 42# injectors and a 76mm maf. With the electronics on the maf disconnected the car will idle okay but the second I plug it in it dies. If I try to start it with the electronics already hooked up it wont start. I called C&L because I couldnt find any color on the sampling tube. We finally figured out that I do indeed have the right tube. Any ideas why it would do this.
I have a 93 SC. Also I am using my stock electronics, which the guy from C&L said was fine.
Tad

There is an o-ring that goes around the elements. MAke sure it's still there. Or the elements might be dirty.

Jeff

Thanks guys!! When I changed the sensor over to the new maf I double checked the o ring and it was right in place. Also it is clean too thats why I was lost. It ran perfect before I tore the car apart too. Thats why I didnt really think that the sensor would be bad. Where should I get one from? Can I get an aftermarket one or do I have to get one from ford? Also any idea how much one is?
Thanks very much yall!
Tad

I'd just spend the money and get a Pro-M as they come with new electronics and are properly calibrated for your injectors instead of trying to fool the computer using a different size sampling tube.

rookie94sc said:
I'd just spend the money and get a Pro-M as they come with new electronics and are properly calibrated for your injectors instead of trying to fool the computer using a different size sampling tube.

That's not true, both the C&L and ProM fool the EEC to run larger injectors.

Jeff

Pro M charges $100 ro "reprogram" the MAF

C&L charges $40 to get a new tube. Both are proven so take your pick.

Look on classified board you should be able to find a good meter. Look for Tbird88 he should have at least a dozen.

The thing that gets me is that everything looks A okay. Everything looks cleen and in order and it worked great before I took it apart. Thats why I have been so confused. I was going to go do some wiring tests today to check if it was a wire going to it or if it was the electronics itself but the high for today around here is only gonna be 9 degrees so that kinda tends to keep me in the house where its warm!!!! DO yall know if I have to get the electronics from ford or if I could get it from a parts store.
Tad

As mentioned above, you will need to get a chip or EEc tuner to properly run bigger injectors. There are settings that affect startup and idle according to injector sizes, temperature, load....

Also unplugging the maf while the car is on, could have shorted it out.

If possible, go back to the stock injectors and see if your Sc still works with the stock MAf.

If you need another Maf, just look in the claasified section of this site.

okay guys, I changed the maf sensor with a new one. I still have the same problem.? All it keeps doing now is running extremely rich and it just wants to file out the plugs. I pulled all them out and literally dumped gasd out of ther plugs. I cleaned out the plugs with lacquer thinnner real well and put them back in and tried again and it just did the same thing. It fired and sputtered for a couple seconds and died and I pulled the #6 plug and it was soaked again.
ANY IDEAS?????? This is getting frustrating now.
Thanks, Tad

nope unfortunately now it wont run much at all. I put the new one on and tried to start it and it wouldnt. So I unhooked the sensor and it fired up and ran for a couple seconds so I shut the car off and connected it again and tried to start it again and nothing. It just cranks over and sputters a couple times thats about it now. Each time I connect and disconnect the mafs I disconnect the battery too so I dont take the chance of blowing the sensor. I am gonna go get some new cheap plugs tonight and see what happens with them. Other than that I am out of ideas. It couldnt be like my o2 sensors or something could it? I tried pulling codes and nothing comes up either. Im just reaching for anything right now.
Tad

the thing is is that I did a vacume check and came up with nothin.
Also I did have it runnning before w/out the mafs connected and It idled fine.
Tad

fastsc92 said:
tad..... that happened with mine too...but i broke the wire when i pulled out the electronics. I got another stock maf for cheap, and i've been using that, thats why i took the 42's out and sold to you.

So can you get the thing to run or not. Start over and be more clear. I remember seeing other posts with the same problem and am confused about exactly what you are/have done.

When the car ran B4 with the MAF unplugged did it idle correctly, at any point in time?

Unplugging the battery is going to cause your car to idle badly since it has to start over from square one and you are running 42# injectors and I am unclear on which MAF.

IF you are trying to run the 42's and a stock MAF try reducing fuel pressure to compensate.

JEff

Okay what I have ar 42# injectors with a 76mm maf w/42# sampling tube. I have a 255lph fuel pump w/ adj fuel regulator.
Tonight I changed the plugs and I left the maf sensor unplugged and it ran good. I unhooked the battery and connected the sensor and hooked the battery back up. I started it up and it ran real rough but I kept it running this time and after a few seconds it ran smooth. I let it idle for about 45 minutes checking over everything. Everything seemed great so I shut it off. I Tried starting it back up again about 30 min later and its running like crap again. It wont idle once again. When I disconnect the mafs it runs smooth again. With the sensor connected I can keep it running for about 10 seconds by playing with the throttle. If not it just dies. Now I dont understand how it can run so well 1 min and like crap again the next. Also after it was running great with the mafs connected I never touched anything.
Tad

the new electronics for the maf I just bought at auto zone and they are remanufactured ones there. Do you think I could have gotten a bad one or something. I wanted to buy one from ford but there like $350. and the one from auto zone was only $70.
Tad

I just talked to a ford mechanic today and he said sounds like the IAC to him. Does this sound like it could be possible? I hate to go out and buy another sensor if its not gonna help. Oh and on top of all this my starter just went bad today so I had to change it!!!
No luck I guess.
Tad

Back