Sloppy Rearend?

RTStabler51

And no, I'm not talking about anyones significant others ;)

I recently purchased Edman100 (I believe that was his s/n) 90 XR7 (AOD) and its a really nice ride. Been out of the MN12 world for 6 years now...

Anyways, I've been in the FWD world since my first SC, and the rear end on this Coug seems a bit sloppy if you will. Like it 'wallows' around back there when you get on it. Is this most likely those IRS bushings I see on SuperCoupePerformance.com needing replacing? OR could it be something else?

Thanks guys!

Does the whole rear of the car wallow around like its running in and out of say ruts in the road? Can be a wheel bearing going, or in my case upper control arm bushing was giving the same motion.

Irs Bushings

This one is easy to figure out. Get the back of the car up on jack stands. Slide under there and push up on the diff and or both of the half shafts. If the diff moves its time to replace the bushings. Its a pretty easy job.

My diff was flopping around like a loos tooth. If the IRS (diff) bushings haven't been replaced yet, they are almost gauaranteed to be toast.

While its up, have someone else push/pull on the top/bottom, side/side of the wheels and look for play in the knuckle bushings too. Mine were fine. If your getting movement in the wheel and the knuckle bushings look tight then the wheel bearing (and most likely hub) are shot. Bearings and hubs are not cheap and they need to pressed in at a shop.

Cheers
Bob

The day I picked up my 93 grand cherokee from the dealer, it swayed in the rear too. about 25 miles later, the right rear wheel fell off (loose lug nuts). Check that out asap!! JJ

Back