Help with my ball joints...

iwannanSC

I am installing a bunch of new parts in the front of my '89 SC. I tried to bolt the lower ball joint as well as the sway bar end link back to the spindle, but when I tighten the nuts, the ball joint bolts just freespin. Any suggestions? Is there a tool I can rent from AutoZone or something that will hold the bolts still while I tighten the nuts?

Thanks, Matt

Last edited:
Matt, place a jack under the lower control arm and have someone step on the spindle while you are tightening. I am sure others will think I am a Neanderthal for suggesting this as there are sure to be better means but I have put together (and taken apart) front ends and this seems to work. Larry

Nevermind, I took care of it. I figured out that the sway bar end link ball joints have 7mm allen head holes the the heads of the screws, so you can hold it still with an allen wrench while tightening the nut with a monkey wrench. As for the lower ball joint, I put a block of wood on my floor jack and jacked up the ball joint, and that held it still while I tightened the nut. (thanks Larry)

Hope this helps someone in the future.

Thanks for the input guys,
Matt

Back