Mechanical Oil Pressure Gauge connection

Digitalchaos

Due to recent problems with my oil pressure, I am attempting to connect a mechanical oil pressure gauge from Napa to my stock sendor's port. Unfortunately, I have not been able to find any information about this up to this point.

First, I need to know how if anything must be removed out of the way so I can access the port and connect the coupling for my mechanical gauge.. The ACC bracket seems to be in the way, but I am not sure.

Next, if anyone has experience with dash-style aftermarket mechanical gauges, especially from Napa, I need to know what size couplings they include. Also, what size is the sender port on our cars?

Finally, once the gauge is installed, I must know when to take measurements. This includes at what RPMs, engine temp, and what oil pressure I should be seeing.

Any information you can provide me with regaurding these questions would be extremely helpful!

I can't answer all your questions, but maybe a few. I put an electrical Autometer gauge in my car, but in order to get access to the sender I had to take the acc bracket off. I just unbolted it and rested it against the IC. You'll have enough room to get in there. When cold at an idle my car is around 75psi. When its warmed up at an idle its about 37-38 psi. I haven't moved the car around too much after the install, so I can't really tell you any other measurements.

I'm in your boat

No way you're gunna get to it without removing the bracket, and possibly the ic and upper ic tube. With the ic and upper tube out of the way, it is much much easier. I hooked my sender up in about an hour, so it isn't all that hard. Unfortunately, my tubing developed a leak and I have to tear all that crap back down to fix the problem. With this wonderful weather, I'm lazy about fixing it.

On another note, Digitalchaos, where in IL do you stay? Just curious. Alyn

Got my lazy arse in the garage.

Well, I fixed my leak. As far as I could find, this is the easy way.
1. remove upper ic tube.
2. remove ic
3. remove main belt
4. remove alternator.
5. remove 3 bolts/2 nuts on acc bracket
6. remove oil pressure switch, and install sender.

follow steps backwards to re-install.

Turns out my leak was right where the hose met the hose clamp. The clamp tore through the line I had running to the sender. I had to grind a small nub away from the timing cover to fit the sender in. All went well. Upon draining remaining oil, I found that the leak left me with only 1qt. :eek: But thanks to synthetic, all is still good. :eek: Running like a champ once again. Best of luck Digitalchaos. I hope you have a heated spot to work on your SC. Alyn.

Thanks pearl95sc; that is what I needed to know. I had these items off when changing motor mounts recently & resealed IC with Copper RTV.

If the bracket must come off, then for the time being this measurement simply will not be possible. I wonder what a mechanic usually charges to check pressure on an SC?

I reside about 2 hrs SW of Chicago, in what is currently a relatively rural area, though quickly growing. The closest town that I can think of likely to be familiar is Naperville.

What ya mean by "If the bracket must come off, then for the time being this measurement simply will not be possible." Are you referring to installing the sender, or checking the oil pressure? If you need a hand, let me know.

And yes, naperville is about 40 min away from me. I remember having to go to the yorkville courthouse for court, what a long drive. I'm about 15min. from Orland Park/Frankfort area.

Back