Halfshafts...

CaifanSC

SCCoA Member
When do you know your halfshafts are going? I feel my rear end wobbly and making a funky noise. I doubt its the differnetial, but i duno what the symptoms are for failing halfshafts.

i had replaced both mine....one was me bein a dumbass and the jack fell on the boot :( the other went not too long after and what it did was it likc gave a clunking noise either when i hit the gas or coasted i cant remember but i know it wasnt both if i had to pick one it be when i coasted.....hope that helps ya

Im not sure what can be causing my 'wobbly' sensation. I know that my driveshaft-to-differential bolts are coming lose again..but i duno if that will do it. I hope its not the halfshaft b/c they're expensive.

Wobbly sensation sounds like wheel end problems, not driveline. You sure you don't have a wheel bearing failing? Or maybe more simply, loose lug nuts?

Mike, last time i checked the wheels they didnt move so i guess the bearings are ok. I will check again tho, as like i mentioned i will be putting the car on the jack to tighten the driveshaft/differential bolts with locktite. As far as lugnuts, again i can double check but i doubt it as i just put the rims/tires of my 89 itno the 94 and i tightened all nuts pretty good. Does anything else make a wobbling sensation in the rear?

I would guess at wheel bearings. and if you change them, make sure you get new wheel nuts from Ford. they are one time use only.

MY spindle nut backed it self off in the drivers side rear and gave me the a wobbly feeling. Check the nut it should have 200 ft lbs of torque on it and I belive they are single use nut so if it is loose replace it

Pit Bird said:
MY spindle nut backed it self off in the drivers side rear and gave me the a wobbly feeling. Check the nut it should have 200 ft lbs of torque on it and I belive they are single use nut so if it is loose replace it
The proper torque of the nut is 250 ft lbs, not 200. My torque wrench didn't go that high, so I rented one from AutoZone. You cannot re-use it once you have broke it loose, you must get new spindle nut!

Calvin

Back