Power Steering pump going bad?

SpaceGhost

Ever since it started to get cold outside, my power steering fluid seems to get low quick. I think there might be a leak, but i haven't checked it out yet. I have to add some atleast 3 times a week. If I don't, it is REALLY REALLY hard to turn the steering wheel. Anyone have any ideas what could be going wrong? It makes a loud noise like it is struggling. Kind of like a machine does when someone forces it to go in a direction it doesn't want to go.

Check your engine mounts....

If you haven't had them replaced with the solid variety they have probably cracked and collapsed. This allows the oil pan to rest on the crossmember and power steering "cooler lines". Eventually, the pan will wear a hole in the lines and your fluid will leak out. The whining noise and stiff steering are definite signs of low fluid. You need to get this fixed because the PS pump will fail and you could potentially wear a hole in the oil pan.

Of course, it could just be a leak at the fittings on the cooler lines or the steering rack...... Only way to know for sure is to crawl underneath and check everything out.

Back