im new, wana learn about SC's

Blue88TC

well,im thinking about getting a SC but wanna know alitl info about them first...what year is the fastest in the 1/4? how easy are these things to mod and maintain? i had other questons but my mind went blank,so just tell me your thought about these cars!!! thanks in advance!

I just bought an 89. I dont know which is fastest in the 1/4 but I do know there is ALOT of maintenance that comes with these cars it seems since everything is so "80's advanced" that its crazy like the auto seatbelts, Auto Ride control, ABS, and a hole boatload of other crap that seems overdone to me.

when buying look if the ABS light is on
look for all the electrical stuff to work already
try and check the motor mounts
if its auto make sure the tranny hits od
if its stick make sure the shifts arent hard
Ask if the headgaskets have ever been done

Just some of the stuff i am working on now.

HI

Hi there and welcome.
In my experience, to learn more about the SC, just hang around these boards, and read most of the posts that are put up. Inevitably in a post concerning one thing there will be many different facts and opinions regarding many other faccets of these great cars.
As far as maintenence goes, I have found that to be true with any car really, its just that it may be more challenging to work om the SC. I bought my 90 in Jan of 2003, and just bought my 2nd SC(95) a few months ago. They are fun, cool, annoying, fast, and addictive.
Good luck, and again, welcome to the boards.
TOm

94 and 95 sc's were the fastest stock I beleive, runnin low 15 second quarters. Adding mods for the car depends on how far you want to go with it I have yet to see a 10 second quarter mile out of the sc but I'm sure someone will hit it this year. There is a fair amount of aftermarket products are out and about for the cars. Maintenance on the car can be expensive but dont let that scare you away everycar thats made has a problem somewhere in it. I bought mine June of last year and have no regrets and when a problem occurs you can always count on these forums to help as much as possible :).

good stuff...keep it coming...im thinkng of selling my turbo coupe to get a super coupe,but i wastold not to,was told SChave more probs and hardr to fix and workout andis xspensive

the sc is more expensive to mod, but i feel the benefit is much more. you should see the reactions at the drag strip. if you are good with cars and have patience you will have problems, but nothing that can not be over come. these cars remind me of the old big block cars. instant torque.

The potential for excessive speed is beautiful, but they aren't for everyone. be ready to work on it. I'm keeping mine forever.

Start with reading the FAQ forum. Read every post. Then you'll know a ton about the SC. Read the Literature section on the www.sccoa.com home page. Then read at least the first 50 pages of posts in this forum.

You'll know the answer to nearly any question you could ever have.

SC's can be an intimidating car to deal with, but there is no other like it. I had an '89 that was kept totally stock, but bought the best extended warranty FORD offered, and being a 1st year production car, I needed that warranty. It paid for itself 4 fold.

But.........for some dumb reason I sold it, and bought my wife a '96 Impala SS. BIG time dissappointment. I guarantee you my stock '89 would outrun that heap. After chipping the SS and putting a cold air unit on it, it was better, but I missed my SC and how it acts (you just can't beat the torque and feel).

Saw one with a for sale sign about 18 mo after I sold the '89. I have now had my '92 since '98. It's highly modified, but not a daily driver. I use it for 1) hobby, 2) fun like no other car I can think of, and 3) education - you will learn a lot as it will demand it.

This site is god-send. Many problems experienced and fixes, ideas, mods, have been done before.. I like cars and I see the SC as kind of an exotic, if not at least a rare car.

By the way, ditched the Impala SS about 3 years ago for a Mustang that my son totalled. And ... my wife has a 2002 Pontiac Gran Prix GTP, with, you guessed it, a supercharged engine! Relax folks, I ain't defecting! The GTP was my doing, she only cares about the car's size and amenities, and since FORD doesn't do anything but the Cobra, Lightning, and GT with superchargers, I had to go with Pontiac. And, yes, it ain't no SC!!!!!!!! (but it's no slacker either).

Buy the car, and enjoy the ride, but be ready for some angst now and again.

good luck!

Had mine about a month. EVERYTHING under the hood is REAL sharp! Just some helpful advice, my hands looked like hamburger when i was done changing the spark plugs.

Back