Anti-lock brake motor runs all the time

GARoese

I have a 97 thunderbird LX as my daily driver. Keep the SC tucked away for the winter. I have had this car since 99 and it has had this same problem. The anti-lock motor will just run all the time. It seems to happen only after the car has been driven an allowed to set for sometime. You come out tothe car an the problem is there, you will not be able to move the car because the brakes are locked. To get going all you have to do is pull the fuse for the motor. Ford replaced the anti=lock brake module and motor relay under warrranty. Then they found a short in the harness. All was well for about two years and now the same problem again. Anyone have a similar problem or is this just my bad luck?

it may possibly be your abs pressure swich which reads the pressure inside the accumulator (the ball like thing that stores the pressurised brake fluid) if it's not registering the pressence pressure it may be staying closed and allowing the pump to run nonstop. It may also be an extremely worn accumulator itself. before this did the abs lights ever come on when you applied the brakes? if so, this is a weak point on this particular ABS system and as most of these cars have had, or will soon need the accumulator replaced. The accumulator it self will run you about $100.00 from Prior reman ( www.priorreman.com ) and that unit is a new one. you can also try to buy a used one off a parts car but there is no sure way of telling it will be a good unit.
Hope this helps a bit in your quest to fix this problem.
SC Ya,
Greg Roll

Back