help! car making 1-3 PSI

johnny o

Car was running great, making ~13PSI. I put my foot into it and it seemed kinda slow once and I didn't think much of it. So the next time I went to put my foot into it I noticed the car wasn't movin' and looked at the gauge and saw about 2PSI?!? :( First thing I did was check to make sure the belt was still on and it is and I can't hear it slipping or anything. Car seems to run fine otherwise. Any ideas?

Last edited:
Do you have a raised top?

Check the bypass valve located at the rear of the supercharger.

Jeff

Car idles fine. I don't have a raised top the car is stock. I drove the car again and it seems to be making full boost now. I noticed the belt slipping the other day but only at 4k+ engine RPM could I hear it, but it still made lots of boost. What should I check on the bypass valve? Just make sure it isn't stuck open?

I thoguht the same thing about 2 days ago - but learned that the cold air doesnt condense as well as warm air, Idk where you are, but in Indiana, Ive noticed a lack in boost, Im fairly sure that its because the cold air doesnt have the same density of the warm air that our cars are used too... its nothing bad, just wait for it to warm up a bit, you'll see more boost

Cold Air is denser than warm air. That's why we have Intercoolers on our cars. To cool the air down, and make it denser.

You should actually see an increase in boost. It is very pronounced in the south where it's 487F in the summer.

Jeff

Tgransbury said:
I thoguht the same thing about 2 days ago - but learned that the cold air doesnt condense as well as warm air, Idk where you are, but in Indiana, Ive noticed a lack in boost, Im fairly sure that its because the cold air doesnt have the same density of the warm air that our cars are used too... its nothing bad, just wait for it to warm up a bit, you'll see more boost

1. It works the other way around, colder is better.

2. Do you have any idea what type of temp variation would have to occure to see that much change? Maybe from the dark sid of the moon to the sunny side.

If you saw your belt slipping at any time the other day I would definately start by replacing that.

Other things that could cause boost reduction and allow the engine to seemingly run well are clogged catalytic converters/exhaust & maybe a real bad air filter.

Most other things I can think of would certainly manifest themselve as noticeable symptoms, even if it were only an idle problem.

Back