Custom intake progress *PICS*

V6Sprout

OK I have made some progress, well this was all done a while ago just got the pics taken. I have the heads bolted down with old head gaskets in place to simulate proper height or close to it. Also have the intake gaskets bolted in place to simulate that and end seals. Currently I only have the front water jacket cut out of the flange cause if I cut all the port holes the acrylic will get weak. All the bolt holes are cut in the flanges so they can be bolted down. This is still rough work, the acrylic is actually clear but has a blue plastic over it to protect it thats why it looks blue. The rail I am using rigth not is the F150 rail but thast just for injector clearence as it won't work ont he SC blower, well it might I have ot do further testing to see. The rear of the railcrosses right over where the rear intake off the IC tube connects tot he lower intake, so thast goot abe adjusted. I may end up just makign a custom rail and braided lines I am not sure yet.

I also have a lightning IC on its way to test fit. From the measurements the lightnign guys have given me the lightning IC is JUST barely too long to fit in our block (read 8mm), the damn balancing shaft bearing journals are int he way, grrrr. PLus the lower intake tub I need to make it work will be 1.4 inch thick so thats another 1/2 inch of room I need. ISince the IC I bought is leaking it has to be repaired anyways and I will attempt to shorten it by the 1/2 or so I need. It most lkely won't work or inturn make the blower sit way too high but heck I got it chepa so I am gonna play with it.

Here are the pics I have so far. The last pic shows the blower sitting ont he intake and the rail is in the way, so if I do in fact use this rail I still need to raise the blower slightly to clear it. I have SC brackets and such coming as well so I can mock up the complete motor to make sure verythig clears the brackets and such. Stay tuned for more.

Also in the pics I just have the front of the intake blocked off and no provision for the thermostat housing as off yet, that will be done soon, as well I have to finish off the cooling passages inside the intake so much work is still to be done.

intake_pics_001.jpg

intake_pics_002.jpg

intake_pics_003a.jpg

intake_pics_004.jpg

intake_pics_005.jpg

Jamie,
looks good I like what your doing now if only some one will make a intake for the stock SC heads.:rolleyes:
I have an idea for the fuel ralls why dont you look at making a custom set of them as well that way the blower can just bolt right down.

yeah I am considering a custom rail with braided lines, the one onthere is just for injector clearences on the intake. What kind of intake are you thinking about for hte single port heads? Maybe I can make somethign up, let me know.

yeah they switch to that style spacing ont he 99+ 3.8 motors, pre99 stang motors are stil the same as the SC heads. It makes it tough to find fuel rails though cause the stangs fuel system went to returnless but thankfully the other split port motors are not, this rail is from a F150 4.2

I have pretty much completed the tub part of the intake for the lightning IC, this will work easy with single port heads, but the split port heads is gonna be tougher, the damn cooling jackets sit back a bit and the passenger side secondary post on the #1 cylinder sits in front of the cooling port, this is gonna be tricky to work but I have a few ideas. It looks stinkin cool with a tub in the oil galley my sister took her camera back this morning so I gotta wait a bit for more pic. I really gotta start gluing these pieces together so they stay put. I also still have to modify the lightning IC as it is about 1/2 inch too long.

Basically I am workignon a few intakes here. A lower intake to work witht he split port heads and roots blower, an intake to hopefully use the lightning IC with the split port heads and a lower intake to work with the lightning IC and the single port heads. These are not being made to market though, just for fun

its not in the pic, I actually worked on that last night, to use the lightning IC with the split port heads is gonn abe tough due to the water ports being farther back and thus will interfere with the IC placement, but with the single port heads this shoudl not be a problem. For the stock style setup using the split port heads I have pretty much completed my design for the water outlet, did that last night and it shoudl work out, in the pics I posted I just made end plates to suppor tthe top. Everythign is still in rough as I am still trying to figure things out.

I have a spare set of bracekts coming so I can bolt them up to this mtor so its a complete mock up motor, this way I can check for clearence issues and make sure the blower lines up correctly with the belt.

interesting Iideas, I was think of a remote location as well, but didn't get to in depth in the thought. I woudl still have to weld some sort of box on the flange there to accept the AN fitting though, but if I get teh lightning IC to work I may have to go that route like you posted with the 90 degree fitting. I'll know more once the IC gets here in a week or 2, its coming from Hawaii and parcel post shipping :( Didn't want to pay more for shipping then the actual IC.

Jamie
I came up with this idea to run the coolant sorry the job is not vary good job the back area is were the coolant would be.

that is basically how I did it Jason on ly difference is the front section doesn't go all the way across, due to the passenger side head have a port right at the front of the head. The split port heads have 2 ports per cylinder as you know and the passenger side one is right at the front on the bottom, its gonna be a PITA. I should have pics of how I did it shortly, I'll try and photochop it if I can't get actual pics soon.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions guys!

I have seen this before on another post like last month I think. Are you the one who is flipping the blower. If so why dont you try a Chevrolet (yeah I hate em too) style outler for the t-stat... you know, on top.

Back