3.8SC to 5.0HO

ThunderDave

Hey,

Just wondering how hard it would be to convert an Thunderbird SC from the 3.8SC to a 5.0 HO??? Has anyone done it, I'm sure they have, but I mean anyone on here?

Just pondering.

David

I'm awaiting the same instructions. XR7 Dave, I believe, is compiling a guide, on the swap. According to him, you'll be able to retain all of the accessories, including ARC, A/C, and ABS. He's done quite a few of them, including one on his XR7.

How is that report coming along, Dave? :D :p :cool:

Your 91 is pretty straightforward. If you are serious, you need a junked 5.0 bird as you will be taking a lot of parts off of it, not just the motor. More info will be coming in the next month or two.

It will be worth the wait.

;)

5.0 swap

Yeah, I'm doing the gaskets now, but no telling how much longer the motor will hold up. It will be worth the wait to find out. Thanks!!!

David

... I was wondering is the 5.0 bird and the 93 and lower 5.0 stangs are they making the same power or is the mustang more?

someone correct me if i am wrong, the stangs had 225hp and 300tq and the birds had 200hp and 275tq? i think the difference is becouse the motor in the t-bird has a modified intake manifold so that the motor would clear the hood, therefor robbing it of the 25hp.

...im also looking foward to the writeup

posted :
Unique bumper covers
Ground effects
16" wheels
4wheel disc brakes
8.8 rear end, HD axles
Firmer springs
Ride control
ABS
Great seats!
Analog dash complete with boost gauge - can't swap THAT into an LX.
5spd transmission
Better rear end gears (in the autos)
Limited slip

Not counting that you simply CANNOT get a 5spd LX, I'm sure there are other little things as well.

All parts would switch right over
what good is the boost gauge goign to do with a NA v-8 in it anyway. The whole gauge custer can be transfered.

i think 1BADSC is right if you dont care about the sc features, you could find a sport w/ abs and already has the firmer springs but w/o ride control and put the 5spd into it. personally i would put the 5.0 in my sc becouse its my car and it has things done to it(not much) incl. a frontend conversion,exhaust and gears but most of all if i were to get a 5.0 lx it wouldn't be my car. i love my car and don't want to get rid of it until its in peices. but thats just me ;)

and if you like the '91 XR7.. buy one of those and swap in a 5spd is your so inclinded for a5spd :) you have EVERYTHING a S/Ced XR7 has but the s/ced engine :) OH and another thing you won't get thou.. chance of blown HGs :)

btu a 5.0L swap into a '91+ SC is a walk in the park.. i have a small lil' write up for a 5.0L swap into a '89/90 SC thou.. just have to get my *** in gear and finish off the Cruise control section.. (as we all know cruise control is part of the EEC on the '89/90's ) And i think the ARC `kick in' for throttle/boost is a simple wire in.. but i have yet to test this theory.. XR7 Dave.. have you??

I'm flying to Denver Thursday to pick up a very clean black on black 93 SC I just bought from Jeramie Schall. It will be going up to Dave within a couple weeks for the 3.8 SC to 5.0 swap.

When I get the car back from Dave, the performance upgrades will begin.

David

Last edited:
Dart based low compression 347 stroker with all forged internals to handle the turbo. I'm looking for 600 rwhp on pump gas and 800 rwhp on race gas.

David

Glad to see your staying away from the centrifigual SC. The turbo set up will be nice. What are your plans for modifying the stroker set up for low compression?

What are your plans for modifying the stroker set up for low compression?

I'm starting with a new Dart 8.2" deck 302 block, 3.4" stroke crank with 5.4" rods and dished pistons. Depending on what heads I use, compression will be between 8.3 and 8.5:1. Since the car will be street driven and I don't need to rev it very high, I'm using a hydraulic roller cam.

The difficult part will be fitting the turbo exhaust between the shock towers, which are narrower than a Mustang.

David

For those who just tuned in. It is much easier to swap in a 5.0 than to change over everything to make your LX an SC clone. Not to mention it is hard to find an LX that hasn't been beat to death around here.

If you really think about what you are saying, changing an LX into and SC clone requires parting out an SC anyhow. What is the difference? I'd mush rather start with the SC and be that much further ahead. You will find a lot of 5.0 SC's driving around once we get this documented. It is just too much fun!!!

Back