Oil pump priming

35th T-bird SC

Does anyone get the loaner tool at autozone and remove the cam sensor to turn the oil pump prior to startup? I didn't feel like messing with the cam sensor once I get it on. Would packing the cavity with petro gelly (vaseline) work just fine for making sure it's primed?

One more thing, does it matter which way the gears go back in on the oil pump? And what is up with the "s" stamped on each gear? Are these supposed to mesh together or something?

Yes the Vasoline trick is plenty fine and as far as the gears go that does'nt matter but I do like to return things to there original posistion that they worked in. Watch the edges of the pump gears, mine had very sharp edges from the machining process that cut grooves in my timing cover surface. A little burnishing of those edges with 400 grit sandpaper takes care of the problem.

I also crank the engine till I get some oil pressure without the spark plugs in it. Then I go ahead and install the plugs and wire and start bolting everything on the front and top side.

Back