Help needed on engine balance..

LarryH

The motor I am rebuilding was balanced approx. 1500 miles ago prior to this most recent tear down. I am replacing pistons and rods with eagle/diamond combo and have verified that the new harmonic balancer is neutral to match the arp underdrive crank pulley.

How is the motor balanced? Since the crank has recently been balanced do I need to rebalance the crank to match the new pistons/rods or are they balanced completely seperately? I had a helluva time finding a machine shop in Las Vegas that confidently said they could do it only to find out that they could not. Is it the fact that it requires special "bob weights " for the 3.8 sc or is there something I am missing?

Just trying to educate myself prior to assembly. Want it all to be right given the $$$'s going into this build. thank all who have responded with advice and feedback during this process. larry

Anytime you change any part of the "rotating assembly", it needs to be rebalanced.

Ok, thanks. So I am assuming that the rods and pistons are somehow balanced in conjunction with the crank? Any idea as to what specific equipment the shop must have to properly balance the 3.8? Larry

Thanks George, that helps immensely. Now I can approach them with some level of technical understanding. larry

Back