3.31 gears for a 5-speed?

XsithX

SCCoA Member
It seems like 3.27s are what's recommended, but I've come across a set of 3.31 gears for a good price. I was wondering if this would be a good/functional upgrade for my daily driver 5-speed SC?

3.27 and 3.31 are so close you won't be able to tell a difference between the two. They are virtually the same thing.

I will be putting 3.31's in my 5-speed, from my '94.

Dale

Guys, just FYI, the 3.31 ratio gear sets are very inexpensive to purchase new from Ford up here in Soviet Canuckistan, likely the same deal down there. Maybe check with Dan Newman on them, up here they are less than $180 CAN at full retail.

cheers
Ed Nicholson
SCCoO

I'm lovin my 3.27's. Talk about waking up the car. Nice upgrade from the garbage 2.73's the stock 5spds come with. I just need to get the correct speedo gear next. My car seems to think it can hit 145+ midway through 4th.

3:31's come in 94^ auto's. Auto's with traction control do not have trac lock (limited slip). I have a set in a box, but I bought a whole pumkin with 3.27's so I am just going to go that route, no point having to pay to have the gears set up.

Jeff

J57ltr said:
3:31's come in 94^ auto's. Auto's with traction control do not have trac lock (limited slip).
Jeff
That was the reason I asked in my first post, because of the limited slip differential. Has a trak loc been installed?

Calvin

They WILL work but you wont have POSI Trak! That is the only down side to using a 3.31 differential from a late model Tbird.

Basically the same thing I just wrote in my post previously!

Calvin

He is using his trac lok with the 3.31 gears. So he still will have traction lok. Not the whole differential.

As was just said, he only asked about the gears. Gears are gears no matter where they come (as long as they are the right size).

The differential, on the other hand.....

Dale

Dale, your right, I mis-read the post. I was assuming that he was referring to the differential with 3.31's, and not just the gears!

Calvin

Back