engine shuts off at idle

radgeorge

I have a 1995 SC with 82K. For a few months the engine stops running, with few shakes like missfiring when at idle, when I stop to a light for over 30 seconds. I turn the ignition key on and runs again like nothing ever happened. Nothing wrong during driving, even at a very slow speed. I've changed the air and fuel filters- no improvement. Please help!!!!!!
THX a lot
Radu

Yes it sure sounded like fuel filter. I would stil check fuel pressure.

Wonder if EGR is...

My 95 used to do that on occasion for yrs. Believe we tracked it to a vacume hose in back of engine.

I have yet to have all the crank & cam sensor problems others describe, so no experience there. Take a look at the harmonic balancer when at idle to see if out of balance. If so replace, best with BHJ aftermarket.

Are plugs and wires newer? Old plugs and at 82K you are due for new plug wires if never changed.

How is the boost and idle? My guess is a vacume leak, or a leak in the IC tubes if plugs and wires OK. Would get some IC tube seals that are reusable from tbird88 or click on Texas Thunder in add bar. Best seals around and eleminates that suspision.

Vacume leaks in old hosses cause a rough idle and boost can be lower than normal. I noticed, not only your symptoms but at WOT the boost never went as high on the gauge, which verified my feeling of boost reduced overall. It ran like a 89-93 bird. Just not quit the same snap.

Of course have you run codes?

My 95 would not idle at all due to bad MAF just recent. Couldn't drive it like yours so doubt it is this.

Last edited:
Back