Spring compressors?

iwannanSC

Ok, I did a search but didn't find the answer to my question. I am installing rear Eibach 1.5" lowering springs in my '89 SC, and I need to know what type of spring compressor I need to use. According to the Haynes manual, I could use SPRING CAGES (FORD part no. 086-00031). They would be installed after the springs are compressed (or while the stock springs are still on the vehicle) to hold the spring compressed while it is removed/installed. But this part number is very old, and does not ring a bell at FORD or any auto parts store either. Do I need these? If not, how can I get spring compressors on those rear stock springs? There is not much room back there.

Thanks,
Matt

I have a set that is like the ones Autozone loans out. They are a long bolt that has 2 threaded ears that hook into the coils on the outside of the spring. You have one for each side of the spring. You just start tightening the bolt and it compress's the spring.
There a tight fit like everything else on this car but you have just enough room to use them.

Got them in. Didn't really need spring compressors at all as long as you're careful. Thanks Mike.

Matt

Back