Internals for 300rwhp

T-bird4vr

Internals for 350rwhp

I will probably put in forged pistons, but do I need H-beam rods.

Here are my goals, 300rwhp with bolt-ons cam and heads etc, and then hit it with a 50 hp shot of nitrous maybe.

Injector size would be helpful too.

Tia

Last edited:
If done properly, the stock internals can handle 300rwhp without any problems. However when you start spraying the N20, that might be a bit different. I would go with 42# injectors.

Thomas

I am also curious about this. Is there any internal weak point in the Thunderbird besides the headgasket?

You don't need forged pistons for 300hp internally. You just need to make sure your engine is tuned properly and doesn't run lean.

Stock pistons are not forged but they are Hypereutectic type. These are much stronger than standard pistons and slightly less stronger than forged. Barring detonation or running too lean, they should be good for 300hp easy. But if you feel a need for a comfort zone, forged is the way to go. Though I believe forged t-bird pistons are a custom order.

The weakest point in the SC block is the rods.

Mike8675309 said:
You don't need forged pistons for 300hp internally. You just need to make sure your engine is tuned properly and doesn't run lean.

Stock pistons are not forged but they are Hypereutectic type. These are much stronger than standard pistons and slightly less stronger than forged. Barring detonation or running too lean, they should be good for 300hp easy. But if you feel a need for a comfort zone, forged is the way to go. Though I believe forged t-bird pistons are a custom order.

The weakest point in the SC block is the rods.

Mike,
I thought that we had really strong rods?

One last thing, what about total seal rings? Worth it or not?
Thanks, very much appreciated!

I have pulled down 4 stock SC motors which hadnt been open prior and 3 of them had bent rods, one motor had 4 of 6 rods bent and that one had the least mileage (80k). None of these engines had blown a HG though the one with the 4 bent rods had already started sucking the gasket into the bore.

Paul

Toms-SC said:
Any company make stock length rods for our cars?

Not that I have found.

The most popular option is Ross or Diamond Forged pistons with 351W H-beam rods.

The rods are a little longer (don't know the exact but it is on the board someplace).
So the distance between the top of the custom pistons and wrist pins is shorter to compensate.

Last edited:
Why can't stuff be cheap. If Dave had that v8 article done then I would be real tempted. I mean, to do this thing right we are talking 1500 in parts for the griddle, pistons and rods. And there would be plenty more along with that.
rant mode off

Any opinons on the TS rings? I have heard both ways.

Back