Cam Senser?

Blownaway

My car is at the local Ford dealer right now for service.
Check engine light kept comming on and the gas mileage became unbearable (12 mpg average).
They say that the problem is the cam senser.
What is the cam senser and what does it do?
Can it really affect the gas mileage that badly?
Also the low coolant light cam on the other day but when I checked the coolant leval it was OK.
Could the coolant leval senser (if there is one) be defective or would something else cause this to happen?
Also, I've noticed on my car that when the heat control knob is on the heat/floor position there is a delay of 2 to 3 minutes before the blower comes on.
According to the owners manual thats normal but when the knob is in the floor/vent panel position the blower comes on right away.
Is this normal?
Thanking you all in advance for your input.
Ron.

Yes. The ECM uses the cam sensor to time the injectors and spark. It's a easy fix. 99% of the time it's the magnets came unglued in the sensor and it loses track of the timing. So the ECM just estimates the timing causing your fuel milage to drop big time but allowing the engine to still run. You can get a replacement peice from discount or pepboys for around 30 bucks and take the two screws out and put the new top peice with the magnets back on. Just make sure you don't loosen the sensor up and turn it. Other wise you have to retime it with the camshaft.

I have/had the same problem with my coolant light. On my
90 35th Anni. Levels were all good, the sensor is in the overflow tank.. I took it out and cleaned the tube. Its been ok so far..

Back