Stock Radiator flow rate?

3tbird

I've just had a 3 row core radiator recore done (replaced the old 2 row core) and the flow rate is 27.

Anyone know the stock 2 row core flow rate?

Please advise.....I want to make sure the flow is good before installing.

I dont know.....What do you think? Heres the upper inlet nipple.....Does'nt look like it should flow very good does it?

Attachments

• jpeg2.jpg
    jpeg2.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 250
Thanks guys but I'm asking for flow rate

Thanks for the pics and insight, but does anyone know the flow rate on the stock rad?

Well I dont know of anybody that has conducted any experiments to find out, even the mfg's cant tell you. Probably because this car has such an offbreed cooling system and you really only have 2 choices.
1. go with stock type rads.
2. go with aftermarket Aluminum rad of which theres only 2 different ones made for this car.

None of the math really matters. The Aluminum ones are better than the stock type, thats really about all there is to it. There are no other options.

RAD FLOW TOPIC

Mike I saw your thread on your radiator today and it looks GREAT!

As for what I'm asking for is a flow rate......if you don't know and would like to find out you could take it to a Radiator Shop and have them flow it so you could market an additional measureable metric.

I'M ASKING IF ANYONE KNOWS WHAT THE STOCK FLOW RATE IS?

I'm not convinced no one knows.....this is a metric that would have been recorded by the manufacturer......and yes I know it's not in the factory repair manual.

PLEASE ONLY RESPOND IF YOU KNOW YOUR RADIATOR FLOW RATE

Why don't YOU take YOUR rad to a rad shop if you want to know so bad?

Why do you need this info so bad anyway?

Jeff

SAD TO FIND OUT

It's sad to find out that those who replied do not understand the request or can not refrain from answering with a question which is not guidence.

The radiator I have is the one from the rad shop who gave me the flow rate after the core was replaced.

I thought this forum was to help fellow SCer's with answers and guidence.......I've made earnest attempts in the past and will continue to do so as an example.

Re: SAD TO FIND OUT

3tbird said:
It's sad to find out that those who replied do not understand the request or can not refrain from answering with a question which is not guidence.

The radiator I have is the one from the rad shop who gave me the flow rate after the core was replaced.

I thought this forum was to help fellow SCer's with answers and guidence.......I've made earnest attempts in the past and will continue to do so as an example.

its sad that we can't respond with a question ( a question that is quidence?, whats that? a question is asked to gain guidence, an awser gives guidence) , but are only allow to respond if we have an answer for you, lighten up bro.:rolleyes: :D This forum is to help fellow SC'ers out, but we are intitled to be helped as well, which is why we ask YOU the question as to why you need the info, maybe we can gain some info ourselves here.

OK let me try to explain. This is your very first sentence.

I've just had a 3 row core radiator recore done (replaced the old 2 row core) and the flow rate is 27.

Mike:
27 What? What does this mean? How did they arrive at that #?

Anyone know the stock 2 row core flow rate?

Please advise.....I want to make sure the flow is good before installing.

Mike:
I dont think anyone knows. I've been here for 4 years and never seen any such info. Even when the other fella's spent a year trying to get AFCO to make a rad for the car I never saw such info.
Truth is the flow # is pretty meaningless because you still have to pump the coolant through the thermostat which should be the only restriction in the cooling system.
The stock rad in pristine condition(not choked down with high mineral deposites) Flows enough coolant to keep the engine somewhat cool enough, not as good as it could be but thats another disscussion.
You say that the rad shop installed a 3 row core. OK what size is the tubes in your 3 row core? Its very possable that your 3 row tubes are smaller than the stock 2 row tubes which could negate any said benifit of your extra row of tubes.

As for what I'm asking for is a flow rate......if you don't know and would like to find out you could take it to a Radiator Shop and have them flow it so you could market an additional measureable metric.

Mike:
Noone around here does does that and I dont see the importance of it because the rad is'nt normaly a coolant flow restriction unless as I said earlier its very dirty and corroded.

PLEASE ONLY RESPOND IF YOU KNOW YOUR RADIATOR FLOW RATE

Mike:
Theres no need to yell at me. I dont respond well to it and its not a good way to make new friends.(notice I havent yelled at you yet.) Certainly does'nt make me want to help you either.

I'm not convinced no one knows.....this is a metric that would have been recorded by the manufacturer......and yes I know it's not in the factory repair manual.

Mike:
I'm posative that some engineers at Ford know the answer but we dont have access to every bit of engineering info on these cars from Ford. Why dont you Email or phone Ford to see if they can answer your qeustion and while you have them on the line ask them why they stuck the IC where they did which mandated
that they use such a pitiful cooling system on the car in the first place. Thats a qeustion I've been trying to get an answer to but I've never gotten snitty because noone here could answer that.

Mike: The reason theres so many qeustions about your post is the fact that you posted some info(at this point a meaningless flow #) that was obtained by some sort of test for which we have no info about what kind of test it was such as "How did they arrive at those #'s?" Do you see what I'm getting at?

Mike:
Then that is who I would talk to about it. Why did'nt you ask them to clarify what if anything that meant? Why would you think anybody here knows what your rad shop done as far as the test?
The marketeers are having a field day with the #'s game. They have learned that if they present a piece of paper with a # on it for the products they are pushing they generaly sell there part by the truck loads. 90% of the time its just marketing BS and is meaningless but the mass's swallow it up and take it to mean that theres is bigger than the other guy's and therefore better.
I'm sure that if anyone on this site knew the answer you seek they would have been here by now and posted it. Theres no shortage of help at this site.

Thats cute, a dyno for rads! I particularly like the part about the flow being adjustable from 0-125 GPM so the oporator make make the results read like he wants or needs them to read.
Hhmmmmm....just like engine and chasis dyno's!
How in the world did we ever accomplish anything in the automotive world until all these machines came to be?:)

mike your so funny.

no really you ought to stop, you make my eyes tear i laugh so much.

but your RIGHT, oops yelling.

My dad used to work at ford and he knows the numbers but he wouldn't tell after i had him read the thread.

No, just kidding he doesn't know the numbers but he used to work at ford, actually designed a part thats on the SC.

Like mike pointed out, no one here knows, mainly because no one cares, because it doesn't matter.

You run a pressurized system as pressure goes up things are getting tougher to move around.

I should be worried about flow #'s and pressure differentials. I run www.evanscooling.com no water = no pressure coolant.

Ummm..... good.

and make sure to not bad mouth the board, cause nobody likes that.

just chill man, ( ha i can say that i live in california) and relax and think about this #27 you have, it really means nothing, again as mike pointed out.

besides who need a machine the size of a garden shack to test a freekin radiator. Oh yeah its military grade, well that right there either tells you that every vehicle sold 20 years from now will come with a specieal booklet that tells how much the radiator flows or this thing doesn't work. (i'm just saying, not talking down on military people.)

jim

Last edited:
Back