Injector Question

Berserk

I'm replacing the head gaskets on my SC and I've gotten down to the intake and heads now, but I need someone to give me the how-to on getting the injectors and fuel rail assembly off - I've never dealt with fuel injectors before.

(those bolts and studs for the power steering bracket are a real pain to get to)

There are a couple bolts on each side that hold the rail down. Then the injectors will still be "stuck" in place with the rubber O rings. You just have to pull up on the injectors and rail to remove them. Its been over a year since I last did mine so I don't remember how many boltshold the rail down. Good luck.

There are two torx bit screws (Forget what size) on each side of the intake manifold, AND there should be a nut on a stud on back of engine holding down the fuel pressure regulator which is also mounted on fuel rail. Also there are a clip on each injector to keep the injectors in place while assembly. DO NOT bend these as they are hard to find. They should just slide off. I didn't disconnect fuel Line/Rail assembly though. I just pushed it off to the passenger side of the car after popping off the injectors.

Attachments

• picture 8.jpg
    picture 8.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 106
Also check the injector tips

Yep, the nut on the stud behind the driver's side cylinder head is a tough spot to pull. Be gentle when pulling each injector too.

Check the plastic tips on the injectors. If they are cracked or worn replacement them.

Also, check the fuel regulator.....you may want to replace it because it's a bear to get to and replace once everything is back in.

When reinstalling injectors.....just apply fuel pressure to the rail (turn the key to the on position or do the fuel pump test from the diag connector) to make sure fuel rail comes up to the correct pressure and there's no 'O' ring leaks before starting the engine.

Back