Won't crank or start

DGernmann

Did a search but:

Okay I was driving my car and then it stalled, I was not sure if it stalled because I let go of the clutch too soon or not. Then when I tried to start it back up it tried to turn over and the lights dimmed like the battery was dying....

I let the car sit for a while and then had my friend try to jump me, the car would not crank and the lights would go completely out when trying to start.

I had the car towed home, put a battery charger on it and let it sit, I also tapped the starter with a hammer, and again the car would not crank, and the lights would dim.

Car seems to have enough battery power but won't crank at all, I hear a little noise, and it sounds like the starter is stuck or something..any ideas?? I think its the starter but wanted some input. Thanks so much!!

sounds like starter

Yep, sounds like a starter but check these first;

good negative cable( at battery and trace it down to block connection behind the oil pump.

wires connected at the starter are sound.

relay on driver's fender wires are good.

Thanks

Thank you, do these starters usually go around 87k? I am going to look at the wires and take the starter out after work.

My starter just went out s well yesterday. If your starter relay clicks when you try to start it then its okay and your starter is probably the problem. $95.00 lifetime warrenty starter at auto zone.
Tad

Thanks

Thats funny well you know what I mean, I guess they come in groups...lol

Tad I saw that I am going to get one of them too. $96 here no biggie....lol

Thanks for the info!

Last edited:
If your car did not start and it still just clicks... take the belts off and try to spin the crank with a breaker bar and socket. If you can turn it spin the rest of the pullys. To me it sounds like there is something locked up.

Check the battery connections a lot of times they do not make good contact even though the connection is tighter than a frogs azz. Clean the terminals.

Jeff

Got starter

Okay I bought a starter from Advance Auto and had to get it installed by a shop, since it was too cold and I couldn't get the top starter mount bolt off.

After they installed it the car started, now it makes this horrible clicking noise...the guy tried to tell me it was an internal engine problem...screw that.

I did some investigating and think the starter is hitting the flywheel like someone said in another post.

So I removed the new starter and there seems to be some wear on the teeth of the starter.

Any ideas?? I think I am going to get a starter from another store and see that that does.
Any one else have this problem??

Thank so much!!!

Last edited:
Dude....read my post. It sounds like you have something locked up. Try to turn the crank by hand. If you can...try to turn ALL the accesories by hand. Seen a locked up AC unit do the same thing. Yours however sounds like an engine.

Where was the wear on the teeth of the starter? Just turn the crank pulley for grins since it's not that hard. You might need to shim the starter. Are you SURE that you have the right starter. My friend put the SC starter in his 3.8 Mustang and it would hang up and take a few seconds to to pop back.

Jeff

Bad news...

Well I thought it was the starter, had no shim, guess the shop didn't install the one they took off, if there was one.

Put a shim on and still the noise continued, then removed the starter when the car was on, and the noice continued...

Guess he was right internal engine damage...from what who knows...I picked the car up from the place and drove it a mile home and this noise started...

Guess its time for a rebuild or something.. I am pissed the motor has 87,500 miles on it and I took good care of it..

Posting a new thread.

Thanks for all your help guys, by the way the starter works great!!!

Back