Pulled heads, doesn't lokg good

Lildew

well, i just pulled the head's off my '91 bird, and every cylinder was full of coolant. I've got a few questions i'd like some advice on....

What should i check/replace while i have the engine torn down, im assuming it's not too good that there's coolant in all 6 of the cylinders.

also, what gaskets do i need to replace besides the head gaskets??

by the way, this is my first engine tear down, and its going pretty well, thanks to the many hints i've gotten from the board.

thanks for any help

coolant in cylinders

I'm in the middle of a head job and getting ready to put it back together. When you took the head bolts out, any coolant that was left in the upper part of the motor ran into the cylinders, so this is not completely bad. What you need to look for is coolant in the oil (oil pan) on the dip stick. Was the car running bad when you pulled the heads? If you blew a gasket, you should be able to tell where the gasket blew.

Some have given me advise about replacing rod bearings and main bearings, but I'm not doing a complete tear down now, lack of $$$$$ I didn't have coolant in my oil, so I'm just doing the top half. Head gasket set, new head bolts, plugs and wires, this is the best time to do them, thermostat and got the radiator checked.

I might have mine running by the end of the weekend, depending on how much I get to work on it and the weather. Good luck on yours.

David

Rule of thumb is if you blow a gasket and find coolant in the oil you want to replace bearings since the coolant will damage them. If you don't replace them when you do the upper end rebiuld, you'll more tham likely have to shortly thereafter.

you will have coolant in your cylinders, due to coolant being in the heads and intake manifold during disassembly. The only way to avoid this is drain the coolant out of the block by removing the plugs on the side of the engine block. Just get the coolant out of the cylinders and oil the bores of the cylinders. I would definately recommend replacing your oil and filter.

If you drove the car on bad head gaskets for awhile then you might have to replace bearings. If you blew and head gaskets and shut the car down you should be fine.

I blew mine and drove it for another 8k with no problems.

As far as gaskets go, get the top engine gaskets. Also get new head bolts, DO NOT and I mean DO NOT reuse the old head bolts.
Good Luck
Ken

HG's

Check your Head Gaskets. Look for a break anywhere around the Cylinders, this will tell you if you had Antifreeze going into 1 or 2 of the Cylinders. The Antifreeze you see in all Cylinders is just from pulling the heads. Take the Heads to an engine shop and have them check for cracks and also get an overhaul on them at this time. (if you can afford it, get them ported) You should buy the Full upper engine gasket set from FELPRO, this will cover your Head gaskets, exhaust, intake and valve cover gaskets. Also order new Header bolts at this time. (I used Felpro). DON'T USE YOUR OLD HEADER BOLTS.
FYI - Before Startup - I had some Antifreeze in my oil. I drained the Oil pan, replaced the pan bolt and then I poured 1 quart of oil into the engine. I then drained it again just to get out any Antifreeze that might be in the pan. I then filled the engine with oil and started the car and ran it until it warmed up. About 5 minutes. I then drained the oil again and re-filled with Synthetic Oil. This procedure should help prevent oil contamination from any Antifreeze that still might be in the engine. I did the HG's 4 years ago and I haven't had any bottom end problems at all.
Good Luck

Last edited:
Clean up all the coolant out of the cylinders as well as any that might be siting any place that you can see. what I did befor I put the intake back on I poured 1/2 quart of oil down around the lifters and the cam so it would work it's way down cleaning any coolant off that might have been there. I was luckey and I did my head gaskets befor they went so there was no coolant in the bottom end.
Hope all goes well.

Hey guys, thanks for all the replies already, i guess i should explain more of the background. The reason i pulled the heads was becuase of a suspected blown hg. I blew them (i think....) about 2 months ago, but becuase of college, i just got to doin it this last week while i have break. when i drained the oil there was maybe a quarter cup of coolant in the oil, maybe less. Also, when i blew the head gaskets, i drove no more than 2 miles, probably less.

I do not see a spot where the gaskets blew, are there any signs to look for the place where they have blown? also, i checked the heads and did not see any noticeable cracks, might there be cracks that i cannot see? i plan on taking the heads to get milled tomorrow just to be sure of flatness. If at all possible i would like do as little is as safely possible, due to some time constraints. From the background info does it sound like i need to tear it down more??? Thanks again for all of your help so far. :D

O, btw i have new arp head bolts, and the fel-pro gasket set. Would i do well to just go to the ford dealship and pick up the intake gaskets, those are the only ones that look like they may not be re-usable, and the water outlet line as well. Any quick advice you could give me about porting the heads would also help, such as would the auto shop i'm going to take the heads to be able to port it if i asked and paid, or do i need to give them specific instructions....?? :confused:

If your not going to replace the engine bearings I would'nt waste any money porting the heads. Thats the least of your worries.

I dont think he needs to worry about his bearings since he only maybe drove the car 2 miles after they went.

Back