Moving to San Diego!

T

TBKHomeworld

Well, I figured out a couple of days ago I should have posted in here instead of over on the Southwest Message board!

Anyway....

Have any of you guys ever failed emissions in California? If so, do you know why?

Have any of you ever moved from out of state? If so, how much did you have to pay for a vehicle to get it into state (I read about $600 each)?

I am thinking of getting a motorcyle (I'll live about 5 minutes from my office) and was wondering if you guys had any ideas on what would be a good, fun, agile bike.

Any info about CA would be SOOOOOOOOOOOO greatly appreciated! I'm looking at the Poway area of San Diego.

Cost of living.....
Food prices.....
gas prices.....
insurance....

Thanks a million guys!

my 92 sc failed i had new cats put on cost me $150 for two installed then went back and passed way below average amounts, cost of living in san deigo is not to bad, rent is a little high gas is cheap and you can get 102 octane at a few gas stations there. weather is great short mild winters it gets as cold as 45 in winter and as high as 102 in summer, and woman walk around in g strings near beach'''' a plus. my daughter and son live near san deigo and love it. back to cats i had head pipes w/o cats made up i unbolt them and put cats on for smog then remove them and store for next time and put on catless system its easy and fast to do and you will always have good cats for smoging.

san diego

Manny, Im in Encinitas (North SD) and I gotta say, gas ain't cheap here!!! I pay ~$1.30 for premium 91 octane! Its WAY cheaper up in LA. Please tell me where I can find 102 octane or ANYTHING higher than 91? I am always looking for higher but have never found it! I thought there was some CA law that said 91 octane was the highest premium gas folks could use regularly? Help me out bro!!! THANX

Re: san diego

I'm doing some interviews in the Orange County area this summer (again) You shouldn't have any problems with the smog check since your car is virtually stock. On the bike, it all depends upon how much you wanna spend. I just picked up a nice Suzuki GSX-R 750 although I would suggest a 600 if you don't have much riding experience. You can get nice used ones in the area of about $4k--$6k depending on the year model. Good luck in SD!

Jason

On the subject of bikes, it all depends on what you want. Do you want a fast canyon carver, or a big cruiser? I have two ends of the "cruiser" spectrum. I have a little Yamaha SR250 and a Suzuki Intruder 1500LC. The little Yamaha is fun for running around town but is a dog on the freeway. My Intruder is OK for around town, but really yearns for the open road. If a canyon carver is more your game... Look into the GSXR family or the Ninja family. I personally would recommend that you buy a little used bike (cheap) to ride on for a few months. Then get a bigger bike. Nothing will piss you off more then buying a new small bike, then out growing it in 6 months. Believe me, this happens all the time. that is why you go to the dealer and he has a load of ultra low mileage bikes that are only a year old or less. My recommendation for size is this:

Newbie rider: 600cc or less
Seasoned rider: 750cc or more

Hope this helps in the quest for your perfect bike!

Actually, I think you and Jason hit the nail on the head.

The biggest I have ever rode is a 125cc dirt bike. We had a blast with it and it was a great teaching tool, however I don't think I'm ready for the 750cc just yet. Besides, the 600cc should be sufficient to beat most anything at red lights (if I'm in the mood).

Question for you bikers: In the 125cc Kawasaki that I played with we had to mix the oil with the gas (typical 2 stroke). Do you have to do the same with the 600cc type bikes? How much more do you guys pay on insurance for your bikes?

Thanks for the info guys!

No. There are no more 2 stroke street bikes. Only dirt bikes are allowed to be two stroke (federal emission laws) As for insurance... With my horrible record I pay $500 a year. With a better driving record, it will be less. Other factors are engine size, taking a MSC (Motorcycle Safety Course), and how long you have had your license.

Good luck,

GAS

Thanks for the info but I don't think the drive is gonna be worth what the membership and gas will cost. It is interesting though!!! Thanx again Manny!

klsoneSC....

John Shelton did a real nice job on answering this question under "Higher Octane".
See his post under the same name.
Ron

Re: klsoneSC....

My bike insurance runs $25 per month for full coverage. That's age 28 with no tickets or accidents on record and multi-car discount. I'm sure it would be more expensive in SD than it is here in OKlahoma.

Thankfully there isn't any mixing of oil/gas on the street bikes. Dirtbikes are also going the way of 4-stroke anymore, so I doubt you will find any 2-stroke bikes within the next couple of years. Watching the motocross races last night one guy had the new Yamaha 4-stroke and everyone was up in arms about it because he was dominating the track due to it's better low end grunt and being that the track was very tight, everyone felt he had an unfair advantage.

Was just look'n 'round.

Well, I was poking around on ebay....and I won't get this bike because of location...but I was wondering what you all thought about it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/aw-cgi/ebayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=600340227&r=0&t=0

Also, is it a given that the bike is going to have been laid down? This concerns me about the previous owner and if he/she 'road it hard and put it away wet'. It just seems that most bikes I've found at various locations have marks on the sides that show it has been laid down....sometimes multipal times!

The idea of cutting through traffic in San Diego sounds NICE! (Unless they have changed that law).

Re: Was just look'n 'round.

That wouldn't be too bad if you could find one locally. I would be more concerned about the mileage on it than the scrapes on the sides of it. Those could come from squeezing it into the garage with 2 cars, or tipping it over, or low speed layovers. Normally a high speed crash is going to do a lot more damage (ie rode hard) unless they have frame sliders or replaced the plastic with used stuff.

Speak'n about mileage.....(Sorry, I am not really use to bike stuff)....what would be a low, mid, and high mileage range?

Well if you think about it in terms of years, then the mileage is not bad. BUT!!! you're dealing with a high compression engine that redlines at 14,000 rpm's They just don't last as long as other engines that don't rev so high, even with proper maintenance. So if you do find one, take it to a local bike shop and get their opinions, because you don't want to drop a grand or so on a used bike, then turn around in 3 weeks and drop another grand or so on an engine, or rebuild.

Back