47 in a 35 (while traveling 37)?

Digitalchaos

I was recently traveling along a main road at 37 mph. The posted speed was 35, with a short 45 zone (300ft) and then 55 mph until the next town. A cop passed by in the opposite lane, oncoming. Immediatly after passing he stopped, made a 3 point turn, and paced me. Did so through the 45mph zone & for a little in the 55 zone, then turned the lights on & pulled me over. Came up to the vehicle asking for license/insurance, stated that I was recieving a warning for doing 47mph in a 35 mph zone. After returning back from his car w/ my info & warning, I asked him if he might tell me what I was doing in the 55 mph zone, incase my speedometer was somehow 10mph off.. he said he didn't know (he was pacing me?).

I have driven this car quite a bit now sometimes following closely behind cars traveling at a known limit, also commonly get tailgated whilst traveling at the speed limit. I am relatively certain my speedometer is off by little if at all.

Can these speedometers be off by a greater amount at slower speeds, such as my reading of 37, and less at higher speeds, such as when traveling 55?

Since the answer is likely no, what is your opinion on my scenario? It confuses me.

In all my experiences.

You should know by now how dirty the IL police are. I've gotten 2 speeding tickets that don't add up. One got made a mockary in court, and I had to pay an even bigger fine. And the other I had a nice little fine to it. The most recent ticket was in my 88 civic. Cop said I did 0-53 within a 1 block range. He aslo pulled me over a mile after the fact he clocked me, when 2 cars had came in the other direction from where he clocked me, and there was a car in front & in back of me. Go figure. The car is way too slow to have done what he said, but if you fight it in court, you usually lose. If it is a warning, then don't worry.

a friend of mine had a similar situation with a kia spectra...he was at a stoplight, and went about 500ft and then turned into a business.... this cop that came out of nowhere pulls him over and gives him a ticket for doing "60+ in a 35" no 1. the cop couldnt say his correct speed, and no 2, that would mean a bone stock kia spectra could do 0-60-0 in 500ft, in the imortal words of wilson wilson "I dont think so"

he fought it and i thnk he got the fine dropped or reduced.

So when are you guys going to raise cain about police harrassing drivers. Lobby to get more detectives hired to fight and catch real criminals instead of so many patrolmen with radar. If you don't speak up it will never change. I would start with City Council, Mayor and Police Chief. Part of the real problem is a few go in and complain and now we have patrolmen instead of true policemen. City Councilmen or Aldermen make the laws. Go to them, as they are accesible and may listen. They Mayor in most towns here don't have a vote just run the meeting and enforce the law. Maybe lobby for no radar. It is harrasment and revenue maker to pay for the cop.

Your voice does make a diference whether you see it or not.

If you ever happen to take your car to a chassis dyno, that can check the speedo against the roller speed for you.

I spent a whole year working in Ill from 4/16/02 to 6/23/03 and yes you State Police are very active! Since I had to make the drive eachway everyday(186 miles roundtrip each day) I watched the news alot for weather conditions and a very strange story came up. The state of Ill put a qeuota(spelling) on the state police. According to the story each patrolman had to wright X # of tickets each month or they would have to attend counsling until there ticket #'s rose to the required level. The very next morning driving to work was very interesting! You guy's have some very creative policeman. Seems to me that policy only penalizes an officer whose citizens in his patrol area for the most part obey the laws. Maybe I'm missing something, but I dont get it.

If you think Illinois is bad, try driving through Wisconsin. Namely SE Wisconsin. That's all they do is watch for speeders and the like. Though they are not as creative in ticketing as the IL nazis are, they are more creative in catching you. They have UC Neons and Continentals. You can spot a US in IL from a mile away...except for that damned Mustang floating around between Bloomington and Decatur on US-51. But all the Normal, IL police do is float around cmapus with their radar on. Sometimes it makes me just wanna turn off my fuzzbuster they are so annoying.

And as far as your speedo goes, mine is off by about 2mph. I know this because I once got caught in WI doing 60 in a 45...but turned out I was only doing 58. Got off with a WRITTEN warning. They actually waste their time WRITING warnings in WI. lol

They have gone nuts in TX. Stupid voters voted in a new law that had all this good stuff, namly a new freeway with 80mph limit. But tied to it was a surcharge on speeders. Now there are twice as many cops out all over the state.

Point is I hope to not have a radar in patrol car when we finally get a policman in Crsson. We did pass laws legalizing cars on personal property in our city that are not taged or inspected, as well as a few other common sense things so we are not living by apartment complex rules at our homes. Probably the only city in TX like this.

In the old days it was fair when they had to clock you. It was not the harrasment it is now. I am going to have to stand up to firends who are asking me to do something about speed limit through town. Why when it has been like this for yrs. Now we are a city and a few want to make it like what the majority moved to the country for, to get away from rules in the big city.

Bitch to your public servants guys. The few who do are getting their way and restricting you.:(

Sorry if too political for some of you but this is how things change.

Back