brand new cam

M90TAURUS

I MIGHT be able to get cams for 3.8 that are not regrinds, meaning that you could basically get any grind you want. Its not for sure, but how many of you would be interested? Only bad news is that they might run $275-300, but thats with shipping.

Randy you are a machinist and I would think that you could get you some steel and make your own steel billet blank to be sent to a cam grinder and have anything you want ground out of it.
What do you think?

Mike 38 I could do that ,and just machine my own.But then I would need to

1.BUY 4030 steel
2 machine the shaft
3 cut for the gear
4 take it to my neighbor have it ruf ground to about .050 of what I want.
5 heat treat
6 make a master for the cam grinding machine.(looks just like a cam lobe but about 5inches tall.
7 take it back to chuck have it ground to my spec,from the master
8 maybe another heat treat.Or cryogenic treatment

I can not make one cam for this price.

RANDY

You're right Randy but because you have skills that most dont have you could do it easier and cheaper than anyone else could do. But it would take alot of time on your end of the job and your time should be worth something.
My point is that no one should get the idea that NEW cams will be as low in price as the regrinds or even close. Even if you had the skills and was willing to get nothing more than the satisfaction of knowing you made the cam blank for yourself for your time you still could'nt do it for less than $300.00.
Do I think someone may be willing to make one for that price?
Maybe....but I think it may end up alittle higher in price before its all said and done. I know things and oportunities like this are available out there because I myself found that elusive rad core that did'nt exist, so I do beleive one can or will be made. The bottom line is What will it end up costing?

Well it would be nice to have a cam with more lift and be able to change
some of the timing with a blank.I don't know what the max lift you can
get with a regrind .500 ? If you wanted to go drag racing I would want to start
with about a .650 lift.

Randy

I dont really know what the max lift would be that you can get with a regrind. But I have seen some info on some regrinds (Dr Freds comes to mind) that were somewhere around 0.525" lift.
There may be room for more I dont know, and even then your still limited as to how much the lobes posistion moves.
Fresh Billet would be better because then ALL options are open then. But man would it cost!

I'm sure we can get new cams but then agan that cost money. after all some one had blanks for ford to use

Billet

The cam I am talking about is a billet cam, I met some guys who are doing alot of 3.8 work (mostly on stangs) but they said they could do it for around $275-300. Ill try to get a hold of them and get more details. I should have more info on monday or tuesday.

Thats pretty cool, if this can be done for that price it would open up a good affordable alternative to regrinds.:)

I believe that is one of the points in doing a new cam. It would be ground on the stock base circle. A billet core would allow more aggressive ramp profiles and the possibility of using a solid roller cam profile!!!

Now We're Talkin'!

XR7 Dave said:
It would be ground on the stock base circle. A billet core would allow more aggressive ramp profiles.
Anytime you talk about hyd. cams, the entire valve train & oil pump must be considered.

Would more agressive ramps, requre more robust roller lifters? What about bleed down? A more agressive hyd. roller cam can be used, if you use lifters with a high bleed down rate.

Oil pressure must also be considered. Does the late model oil pump provide more pressure? What IS our oil pressure? The old school rule of thumb is, 10 psi per 1000 rpm. Dunno if that applies to modern engines.

Finally, something worth talking about!!!!!!!!

68COUGAR

Steig Cam

I've heard Adams Stieg reground cam. It's something over .650 lift @ 296 duration. That's probably at .050 lift, but not sure.

Dunno what the ramp speed is, but it Certainly doesn't sound streetable. It mellows out around 1200.

I'm sure it's Way More cam than he can use!

68COUGAR

Attached below is a pic of the cam I just removed from my engine a few weeks ago with less than 8000 miles on it. It was a regrind by crane using a 89 5 speed cam. Lift was around .600". I presently am looking for a billet cam that can be ground to my specs.

FlakedCamsshaft7.jpg

Sorry about the image size, my digicam resolution sucks so I didnt shrink the pic down, just cropped it a bit. As you can see, the lobe is missing material roughly the size of your fingernail. There were a few like this.

Paul:mad:

A more aggressive cam profile does not require more oil pressure. The lifters are filled with oil when the valves are closed and it is not oil pressure which keeps them full when the valve is open. Our lifters are standard SBF fare and therefore we should have no problems with any lift profile available for a SBF. Solid rollers like I would like to see allow much faster ramps which means more effective valve duration and lift with less overlap. Oh ya, and much lighter lifters. ;)

Back