starters

95scred

its been pretty cold here the last couple of days and yesterday, i went outside to start my car, and it was dead, it didnt make a sound, no one was here so i couldnt jump it with another car, so i hadd to use my dads jumper pack thing. it didnt start the first time so i checked the connections on the terminals and it started the secon time, but i didnt actuly move them. so i went out and bought a battery. i didnt put it in last night because i was going to see if it was dead again this morning since it was even colder last night (minus 14), but it started rite up this morning. all i could think it that a while back my car would not start. i banged on the starter a couple of times an it started. i was wondering if anyone has had similar problems with there starters, and if this could have been my starter acting up again yesterday. if it is what o you all recomend for a replacement starter if i need one?
thanks

Hey 95scred

Get yours rebuilt if possible. If not try to find a starter from a T-bird because with some ford starters the gear doesn't snap back far enough and will bang into the flywheel . Good Luck

Clean the terminals. It's cold I know (not down here it's in the 60's, but I watch the news) but chances are either the battery is bad or the connections are bad. I have had many times where I hit the key and everything goes dead. They didn't look dirty but I cleaned them with a terminal cleaning tool (for inside and out) and never had a problem.

Jeff

Ditto that last comment. Do the simple stuff first. The battery posts and cables might look clean, but they can still have enough oxidation to prevent the starter from turning.

2nd thing, and this is common, is to check the smaller black wire connection at the starter. It is a spade/tab connection and can easily get dirty or loose. Clean it and tighten it a bit and see if the starter behaves. I've had this happen to me a couple of times, and discovered the fix by accident on a cold rainy day in a parking lot. ;)

Back