83 AOD from a truck.

stocker 89

will a 83 F-150 ranger AOD work in a super coupe?Will there be any problems with the tailshaft? Anybody ever tried this before? Thought I might pick it up just incase. Any input would be great. THANKS.

Stay away from anything older than an 88 truck AOD-the baskets are weak and tend to come apart.

The 88 Truck AOD will work-has a cast OD drum that can be used with the 2" band, and you can order a rebuild kit that will increase the clutch packs to 4 frictions and steels on the intermediate, and 8 frictions/steels on the other 2.

Build it up right and you'll have an AOD that is just about as bullet-proof as a TCI unit for half the cost

well we had an 83 F150 with a 302 and AOD that was used as an auto parts delivery truck....first tranny baked at 85000 miles only because the truck got wrecked and was towed with the drive shaft in......we figured it was a total so we didnt care....then the insurance co. fixed it, and when the body shop was done the tranny was fried!......so we had it rebuild (stock ) and never touched it again (except fluid changes) for another 200,000 miles !! So it's not a bad tranny to use in a pinch....

An 83 AOD is not fit for use in a Thunderbird SC. The information given is from the guy who does my transmission service-he's forgotten more about the AOD than anyone here will ever learn.

HMMMMM.

I just need a AOD to use for awhile... Untill mine gets rebuilt...

The original AOD has high miles and issues. Like I have to keep it in D or it shudders and stumbles when downshifting. I have found it better to manuel shift... It never use to do this would stay in OD and shift with no problems.

If I go to a smaller OD servo will my top speed be reduced? My rev limiter lit up motor starts cutting out.

Birdman93 I should use something from 88-89. Possible a truck mustang Crown Vic mark whatever as long as it is from around late 80's. What makes the 90 sc AOD different?

Kevenj90sc he claims this is from a ford 300 6-cylinder is that right?

Back